Thread: Like ebay? Think Again....

Like ebay? Think Again....

They don't use SSL by default...what ?!

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-871061.html
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Ebay sucks anyway. So it's no surprise that they aren't using standard security.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Any site that involves money is an invitation to hackers (the evil greedy kind).
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

i agreee. the evil
    greedy
    kind!!!!
    he he ha ha

pity. I was going to buy something from them.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Originally posted by zigar
    They don't use SSL by default...what ?!
    I know...what the...?? I mean you'd think it would be the other way around, make SSL default and let the user choose not to use SSL if they really don't want to, which I doubt many will choose.

I mean if you ask the members if they would want their password to be sent as plaintext or encrypted, explaining to them what it all means and how it works, I'm pretty sure about 99.9% of them would choose SSL!

Do they even have a good reason why they don't make SSL the default??

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

those greedy hackers give innocent hackers a bad name. they never think of te consequences for what they are doing they only think of the money. the money they could steal from people on ebay. I responded to a thread about a couple weeks ago, about freedom after sept. 11. that I did not mean freedom is dead, I meant freedom would be in a different name. under national security. and if anyone wants to respond to what I have said, check my profile and get my email address.

Kind of scarry that a company in their position would have such lack in security protection.
    I've used them before to get my kid a pokemone card and now I'm take a 2 look at using them again. I still think that if a hacker realy wants my password bad enough he's got it. Ya have to be smart about using the net.
    I agree with hot_ice you would think that the default would be using SSL. Its a no brainer