Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about home network

be sure to have the right kind of cat5 too-if there are many lights and things that use a lot of power around the area of where the cat5 will be, be sure to get shielded cat5-otherwise you'll get many errors
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

I forgot to mention this, and so did everyone else who posted....

Originally posted here by cwk9
    If you wiring computers with a hub, a normal cat5 cable will do but if you just wire two computers together with no hub you need a crossover cable.
    if you use a hub/switch/router, then the cable you need is called patch.....
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

sonic, i wasn't trying to make a joke but it is cool. That sort of answered my question. I know about hubs and switches, I just wanted to get everyones opinion. Which is cheaper, Hub or switch. Last I heard they are about the same now. For everyone who was talking about how it was hard to prepare cables, just holla and I will be there for the right price b/c that ain't a thing. No one mentioned roll over or straight though cables (what ever you call it). Isn't that needed to talk to the router and program it. Is that cable in the home networking kit, acid_spectrum? Holla

Here are the links to my first two networking tuts in the series I'm writing. Some of it may help.
    Part 1:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=220125
    Part 2:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=222545

Here is the setup I have at home. SA Cable modem. LinkSys Router with 8 port switch. With LinkSys LNE TX100 nic cards. It works flawless with my Linux and Win boxes. Even works fine with my dual boot box. Thats the atvantage of having a router/switch with DHCP. Plug it in and go with it. Very minimal instalation woes.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.