Thread: This is probably really stupid

This is probably really stupid

I have a question back about network protocols. If all network protocols use the OSI model as their base, as the theoretical ideal is it possible to have a situation as follows in theory.

Having a network of PC’s, using TCP/ IP only
    Having a network of Macs using AppleTalk only

Now with these 2 networks is it possible at least in theory if not in practice, To put in a router/bridge/hub in to connect these to networks where the router/bridge/hub uses both TCP/IP and AppleTalk? What I trying to say is it possible to have the two networks still using the same protocol as stated above but the router having the ability to receive TCP/IP protocols from the PC and send then in AppleTalk protocol to the Mac and vice versa? I Know you can have Mac and PC on the same network by setting up the correct protocols that is not what I’m asking here, I’m not asking of a way to get a Mac on a network, I was just wondering if it was possible how I stated.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Well, the OSI model is still really theoretical, but that doesn't really matter.

Many compaies used to do this, and some still do. You can put a Mac AppleTalk network connected to the internet can't you. Something is converting the AppleTalk to TCP/IP. My school used to do this now also. We would have the primary network as TCP/IP, but we had a couple Mac labs that ran AppleTalk. We would then have to conver the AppleTalk to TCP/IP and vice versa to communicate. We also had a small lab that ran IPX.

So yes, it is possible, and has been going on for a long time. Now that the new Macs understand TCP/IP internally, AppleTalk is going away. So, it used to be done, but not much any more.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

No you can't. If you want Mac's to talk with other IP devices, the MAC needs an IP stack. Switches and routers don't convert appletalk to IP or vice versa. They can coexist on the same network but don't inherently have the ability to use each other's resources.
    Let's say you have a couple older MACs that you want to have the capabiility to use NT shares, then you need DAVE or some other third party program to provide the Netbios portion.
    You should look up some tuts on IP and appletalk. I'd spend the time to get you links but then, what fun would that be?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I haven't heard the term "AppleTalk" in years...surprised it's still named the same way...
    Back in the day, I used it to connect to a BBS based in a Unix machine...don't remember how, though(aside from the Hayes commands that i had to memorize)...
    The IP stack is the main roadblock as far as i understand...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

I could be wrong, but to my knowladge, my Macs -like those other computers - are largely compatable with TCP/IP networking. Its when you're passing around packets in a propriatory formats where they get you.

... I think.
    \"We have electric cars, electric coffee grinders, and electric blankets, so I\'m gonna invent an electric chair.\" - Me ~ \"We newbies don\'t get all the jokes, but we luagh at every one of them\" - Unknown

Originally posted here by Nine Volt
    I could be wrong, but to my knowladge, my Macs -like those other computers - are largely compatable with TCP/IP networking. Its when you're passing around packets in a propriatory formats where they get you.

... I think.
    I believe OS9 and OSX natively support TCP/IP, but then again all I have is PowerPC8100/100, so I'm limited to what I can do an that lil' box.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thanks to everyone whom has replyed, thanks for the help.

forever learning
    Kindred69
    ForeverLearning