Respectability Measure...??

Thread: Respectability Measure...??

Respectability Measure...??

OK, well, I'm trying to steal the crown of 'Most AntiOnline Site Suggestions' from RiOter. Hehe, no, seriously, we all know that is impossible, I'm just suggestion something here that I thought of while looking thru some posts.

What do you think if there was a measurement of how much a member was respected (or how usefull/helpful/beneficial/...good their posts were) by comparing their AntiPoints with their number of posts?

OK, to explain this, I'll use an example:

- UserA has 1000 Green AntiPoints and has made 1400 posts.
    - UserB has 1000 Green AntiPoints and has made 1600 posts.
    - UserC has 1000 Green AntiPoints and has made 600 posts.
    - UserD has 1000 Green AntiPoints and has made 400 posts.

Respectability (or whatever you'd call it) would be measure by:

Code:
    (noOfAntiPoints / noOfPosts) * 100
    This means that:

- UserA would have a Respectability measurement of 71%
    - UserB would have a Respectability measurement of 62.5%
    - UserC would have a Respectability measurement of 167%
    - UserD would have a Respectability measurement of 250%

Well, hopefully with the example you know what I mean. I think it would be good to see, cos if you have a member who doesn't post often or just started out and has craploads of greenis - you'd clearly see that they are very respected. Anyways, that is what I was thinking...tell us what you think.

Cheers,
    Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

unfortunately, the idea doesn't work... because a lot of the members who are the greenie-lords, also have a lot of posts... majority of them have also been members for a long time... so its kinda looks that the elder ones are less respected, just coz they never shut up.. I mean, they talk to much... I mean... eh, you know what I mean..
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Good idea, but your respectability would go down as you made more posts, so if you didn't get enough antipoints you would actually fall in the ratings as such.

I think that the time you have been on AO for should also be taken into account, I've been here for what seems like ages (I remember when there were only about 2500 registered users, now there's nearly 80,000!).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

i agree with matty... that doesn't entirely work well... esp since the greenies are not always a measure of good posts.... i know from personal experience that i have recieved a number of greenie... but i have also recieved a counter balance of red for less good reason. i think a better solution would be to see what percentage of greenies to reds they get while factoring in the number of posts and the time they are here would be a better measure of respectability
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Respect is earned by what you do and how you treat others online/offline. Not by looking at a bunch of green squares because someone happened to do a lot of posting.

green squares has nothing to do with the amount of posts...
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Well I like this idea in theory. However as many members know some people abuse the antipoint system this could lead into more problems. One thing about the Antipoint system I think is very good is that you donít know exact number of antipoints a person has only a range i.e. >100<200. This is a good thing stops people abusing the system by posting -ve antipoints to remove a green dot under someone name. If you used your calculation it would be easy from the information found in the post to work it back find out the person exact number of antipoints then assign -ve anti point with more malicious intent, if the number of negative they can give would drop the person antipoint total to below a green dot barrier.

Say person B has 202 antipoints, person B donít like person and works out how many point he has (respectability rating/100*number of posts). Person B knows that he assigns 4 antipoints when he does so, person be gives the post -4 antipoints dropping person A total to 198 meaning they have lost a antipoint green dot form under there name an also drop there overate respectability rating. I know this sound far fetched but it could happen is all Iím saying.

Also if youíre a new to Antionline, as well as to forums and computer security then you will clock up many posts with few antipoints until you find you feet. If your like myself and are just starting out then you will probably (I know I have) post some really lame stuff you post total rising up and up yet your antipoints not until you knowledge has increased enough to give consistent, good input back to the site. The you will be assigned more positive antipoints but you rating will not increase proportionally to the number of antipoints your receiving because of your already high number of post.

Thats my little bit.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

Nice points people, especially Kindred69 - good point. I just saw a thread where there were two users, won't name names, but one had like 'x' posts and the other had '3x' posts and similar AP's and I just thought it might be a good idea for that scenario to have this. But, as you have pointed out, it may not be good for every scenario.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

I think the idea is good in itself if the problems others have pointed out could be overcome. I think the way the system works now with membership status (junior, senior, addict, etc.) being achieved by number of posts there is a definite temptation to make posts just to make the next step. The present system rewards this. I think too that a person's time on site and not just number of posts just factor into determining the member status level. It doesn't seem right that someone who makes fewer posts with solid content should still be a newbie after a year on site and someone who makes a lot of one word or one sentence posts should be a member or AntiOnline Addict after only a few months.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)