Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Modems

Dual Modems

Hmm,
    Just an idea, I am still running just a dial-up modem to my ISP, only 56k. I was wondering if it was possible to add another modem to my computer. {On the other com port} Then sign up for another account at my ISP, and get twice speed that I would normally get. I have never heard about this idea before, but I have never heard that it cannot be done. So what do you think? Is it possible? How would I set it up?

{I am only doing this becuase currently I am unable to get cable or satelite right now, I will still have to wait about another year.}

Hmm...I don't think so. Maybe if you had two different phone lines you could just use one account and dial up into it, and have incoming transfer on both of them, but in my experience I've not seen an OS that had an option even similar to this.

It is possible, it's called shotgun dialup. I used it before broadband was available in my area. Take a look here
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=shotgun+dialup

Its also called dual modems or multilinking. Anyways have a look at this page as well...

http://help.cadvision.com/accounts/h...odems_mppp.asp

Wow, proved me wrong. Awesome, I'm gonna check that stuff out as well.

its sounds great but it still gonna cost a lot of money.dailing up with two lines.
    The Power Of Your Imagination:

Originally posted here by cdre
    its sounds great but it still gonna cost a lot of money.dailing up with two lines.

Not really....just the price of local call multiplied by two...

It's a brilliant idea. I think I read an article on it at PCworld....

Most isp give you a free shell account to try them out
    if you ask nice enough

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    I work for an Isp, so i know how this works on the ISP side. The hardware, and shotgunning the modems is not supported by our techs so I dont know about that.But in order to acheive 124k you need to have an ISDN line. And thats like 80 bux a month from SWB. Of course you have to sign up for a dual channel ISDN account which is another 20 bux. This is how it works at www.ev1.net .

As for other ISP's, I dunno. But logic tells me you couldnt get 112k off of a regular phone line.
    I dont know the symantics of the whole phone line speed regulation.....guess i should check out google again today for the 50th time
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

I am looking up on it some more, and it appears to be definitely possible, but a few of you got the wrong idea, especially Dr Toker, what I am doing is just doubling everything coming into my pc. I am going to buy another modem, use a second phone line I already have in my house, and then get another account at my ISP service. Hopefully I will not have to pay twice as much becuase I am just one member. {I would be hoping for some sort of a discount.} But, my ISP is closed on the weekends, I am going to call them on monday morning to find out more about it.