Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft - Networking

Banned

Question Starcraft - Networking

I know this isn't a networking security topic, but it is a networking question.

I am trying to set two computers together with a cross-over patch cable to play a direct game between two computers.

The problem I get is this:

Cross-Over Patch cable (is it also known as a null modem cable?)

I have tried to set the game through 3 different types of networking; Lan (IPX), Lan (UDP), and DCC (Null Modem)

When I have the CO Cable linked, I can get both 'puters working as a network, yet Starcraft and other games won't tranfer each other a packet to play the game. Am I doing something wrong?

Go to google.com and type "how to setup a home network"

Assuming that you have all the software settings right you’re left with two possible problems
    -One of the network cards is busted
    -crappy cable
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

IPX and UDP should both work over crossover cable. Null modem cable is serial cable, as far as I know...
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Banned
    Null is in fact serial (and parallel).
    I had checked the Googles search and pretty much got to where I am.
    I got information from an old school buddy who said I have to set one computer with the IP 196.168.0.1 (the server of the game) and 196.168.0.x (x=2,3,4,5,...) for the other computers. Also, I have to put 255.255.255.255 for the subnet mask ip and for the server computer, I have to put 196.168.0.1 for the WINS IP

I'll be trying this when I get home, but if someone see's a flaw in this, can you let me know?

As far as I know the net mask should be 255.255.255.0 . This may or may not be your problem.
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target

IP/Subnet

Well, 196.whatever is a class C address, so the default subnet mask would indeed be 255.255.255.0.

When you say they work as a network, what exactly do you mean? They can see each other/transfer files? Or they can both go online at the same time..like on a cable connection?

Personally, the only way I've ever seen to do what you're describing would be to run straight cables to a hub. Probably a lot easier in the end anyway. I'm relatively sure what you're describing would work, I'm just not entirely sure how. I'm not sure the games themselves would know what to do with it.

Were you trying to hook the modem's together, or the network cards? The settings in the game would depend on that too.

-Keisha
    www.notinourname.net
    www.nion.us

Read them.

A subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 doesn’t sound right no room for host address.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

You did not say what os so try one of these could help microsoft or linux

Banned
    I'm using Windows, since Starcraft was never made for *nix.

When I say they are networked, they can see each other on the network nieghbourhood and transfer files, but not sharing internet connection (that is, until I set the 196.xxx.... IP)

I'm just trying to set the thing direct crossover cable, because we're using two laptops using two network cards. (So a hub would be worthless when not at home...)

The whole subnet thing sounds good, and makes sense about how 255....255 doesn't leave much room for host addressing....

Ok here it is step by step.
    1.)use a cat5 crossover cable.
    2.)load ipx protocall
    3.)log on enjoy starcraft.

for other gmes that may use ip instead of IPX

1.)load TCP/IP
    2.)load netbui
    3.)you do not need to set ip addresses or gateways then.
    4.) logon enjoy MS Hearts
    God save the President and his fascist regime!