Thread: Don't know how a server work.

Don't know how a server work.

Well, i don't know how a server work, please explain me.
    A server is a PC or a PC without mouse, monitor and other machines?
    Does a simple PC can have a site on (like AO)? Or only a server can?
    How i control a server?
    If i've made a site and publish it on net, should i be connect on net everytime, to allow people to see it? Or they call and i only pick up the phone?
    Questions need answers.

A server has nothing to do with hardware. A server is an application that does a service for another (client) application. Both server and client applications can easily be located at the same pc, for instance when you are developing a web-application you need to test it localy on your web-server. So you start up your web-browser, and you access your local webserver. In this case your web-browser is the client application, and your web-server is your server application.
    ---
    proactive

Try this... http://www.howstuffworks.com/web-server.htm ...otherwise, www.google.com works wonders for those willing to invest some time to find the answers themselves...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Re: Don't know how a server work.

Originally posted here by GbinaryR
    Well, i don't know how a server work, please explain me.
    A server is a PC or a PC without mouse, monitor and other machines?
    Does a simple PC can have a site on (like AO)? Or only a server can?
    How i control a server?
    If i've made a site and publish it on net, should i be connect on net everytime, to allow people to see it? Or they call and i only pick up the phone?
    Questions need answers.
    A server can have a mouse and a monitor. In fact the pc im using now is my linux webserver, and its just a pc I use with the server software. So yes a simple PC can have a site on it like antionline, although I doubt that any simple pc could handle the loads that antionline gets. To control a webserver like apache, you would need enough knowledge to configure the text files and the modules. If you made a site and wish for everyone to see it, there are many options available such as hosting services, but the most flexibilty possible is aquired through your own webserver. It would be best to have an always on connection to keep your site up at all times, so a dial up connection wouldnt be that great, also the speed of dial up is very limiting. Also consider the fact that you need a very stable OS to be sure that your site is up all the time, although you can run a webserver on a Windows 98 box, it isnt known to be a very stable OS.

thx guys