Newsletter 3: Articles!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newsletter 3: Articles!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking Newsletter 3: Articles!

Hey all!

We're still looking for articles for the 3rd newsletter. Rants, raves, tutorials, ideas, are all welcomed! While we'd like to keep the focus on security anything relating to computers will do (the more we know, the more we understand, the better we can protect).

Remember to be original in your work. If you reference material from other websites, please put the reference in.

As a side idea for an article, I was thinking of compling quotes from the IRC Chatroom. So send me your favs via pm or via email (msmittens@msmittens.com)

Deadline: May 15, 2002 Midnight EST

The more contributions we get the better the newsletter.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

What time is midnight EST, in GMT or British Summer Time (GMT+1) ?
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Oops. Bad habit.. -5.00GMT..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Okay. Thanks!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Banned
    MsMittens.... Can I submit the IRC part from the AO FAQ?

-----------------------CUT HERE---------------------------------------
    Part VII - IRC

What is IRC
    IRC is short for Internet Relay Chat, IRC has a lot of server ranging from DALnet to EFnet and beyond, IRC is much like the other messeging clients, except that it is a text-only bare bone chat client, IRC has many uses and mis-uses, to learn more about IRC read below
    Ok, I know what it is, but where can I get a client?
    mIRC For Windows
    IRC For Macintosh [OS X] [System 7]
    IRC For Linux
    The Basic Commands

/ADMIN - Displays the administrative details about a server
    /AWAY [away-message] - Leave a message explaining that you are not currently paying attention to IRC, typing /AWAY without any arguments removes your away message
    /BAN [#channel] [nick] [maskmode] - Bans a particular nick from EVER joining the specified channel, until /UNBANned
    /FINGER [user@host] - Used to look at information about a user, generally by their E-mail address, using the UNIX FINGER protocol
    /INVITE [nick] [#channel] - Invites another user to a channel. If no channel is specified, your current channel is used. In that case, you have to be on a channel for this to work. If you receive an /INVITE message, you may then type /JOIN [#channel] to go there
    /JOIN [#channel] - Changes your current channel to the channel specified. If the channel does not exist already, it will be created and you will be the new channel operator
    /KICK [#channel] [nick] [your comment] - Forces the client [nick] to be removed from the channel
    /LEAVE [#channel] - Leaves the specified channel, or if not channel is specified, leaves the current channel
    /LINKS [server.address] - The LINKS command shows all the servers currently on your network
    /LIST - Lists all current irc channels, number of users, and topic
    /LUSERS - Gives a brief listing of the number of users, the number of servers and the number of operators
    /ME [action] - The /me command is used to describe an action. Your nick will automatically be inserted and the text will appear differently than normal channel messages. This command can be used in channels or private message windows and dcc chats.
    /MODE [#channel] +(or)-[modechars] [parameters] - Sets the mode for the channel
    /MOTD - Gives the message-of-the-day for a server
    /MSG [nick] [your message] - Use the /MSG command to send someone a message that only that person can read.
    To answer to such a message, you have two options:
    1. You type /MSG [nick_of_person_who_sent_you_the_message] [reply]
    2. You type /MSG , <reply>
    The comma (,) is an abbreviation for "last person who sent me a message". In a similar fashion, the dot (.) in a /MSG command is an abbreviation for "last person to whom I sent a message".
    /NAMES [#channel] - Shows the nicknames of all users on that channel
    /NICK [new_nick] - Change your nickname
    [B]/PART [#channel] - Parts the channel, but remain on the IRC. When you leave, all other channel members will be notified of your departure
    /PING [nick] and /CTCP [nick] PING - These commands are used to determine the length of time it takes to send a signal to another person on IRC and then back again
    /QUERY [nick] - You can have a private conversation by using /MSG [nick] repeatedly, but that can get cumbersome. That's where the QUERY command comes in handy
    /QUIT [your farewell message] - Exits IRC (also leaves any channels you may be on).
    /TIME - Displays the current (local) time on the server machine
    /TOPIC [#channel] [new topic for channel] - Changes the topic for channel
    /WHOIS [nick] - Shows the "real name" behind a nick, any public channels s/he may be on, and the server s/he is using.

AntiOnline IRC
    irc.antionline.com port 6667
    join #AntiOnline

AntiChat Commands
    !signup - Signs you up with the bot to keep track of your stats
    Code:
    <ac1dsp3ctrum[]> !stat
    <AntiChat> ac1dsp3ctrum: 3025 words 15122 letters 64 smileys 6043 minutes.
    !stat or !mystats - Shows you your current stats in the chat
    !lastspoke [nick] - Tells you when that person last spoke
    !seen [nick] - Tells you when the personw as last signed on to IRC
    !top10 or !top20 [smileys|kick|ban|minutes|words|letters] - Shows you the top10 or the top20 in each of the fields
    ---------------------------------CUT HERE---------------------------------------

Sure if you want. Can you send that to me as an RTF or Word file? (send it to msmittens@msmittens.com)..

Many thanks in advance.

Banned
    Sure MsMittens

Banned
    Here it is
    The board wouldnt let me post .doc files so I just zipped it

would someone please send me the link to newsletter #2, please? Think it was posted while I was away.

TIA
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Nevermind...(gotta start looking before I ask)

sorry
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"