Thread: SILC - Secure Internet Live Conferencing

Thumbs up SILC - Secure Internet Live Conferencing

To: All who are uneasy about using insecure IM/IRC technologies.

I first heard about SILC about 8 months or so ago and have, from time to time, checked up on it, to see how much progress the project has made.

SILC is an IRC type program. Here is an excerpt from the site:
    ------------
    SILC (Secure Internet Live Conferencing) is a protocol which provides secure conferencing services on the Internet over insecure channel. SILC superficially resembles IRC, although they are very different internally. They both provide conferencing services and have almost the same set of commands. Other than that, they are nothing alike. The SILC is secure and the network model is entirely different compared to IRC.

SILC provides security services that any other conferencing protocol does not offer today. The most popular conferencing service, IRC, is entirely insecure. If you need secure place to talk to some person or to group of people over the Internet, IRC or any other conferencing service, for that matter, cannot be used. Anyone can see the messages and their contents in the IRC network. And the most worse case, some is able to change the contents of the messages. Also, all the authentication data, such as, passwords are sent plaintext in IRC.

SILC is much more than just about `encrypting the traffic'. That is easy enough to do with IRC and SSL hybrids, but even then the entire network cannot be secured, only part of it. SILC provides security services, such as sending private messages entirely secure; no one can see the message except you and the real receiver of the message. SILC also provides same functionality for channels; no one except those clients joined to the channel may see the messages destined to the channel. Communication between client and server is also secured with session keys and all commands, authentication data (such as passwords etc.) and other traffic is entirely secured. The entire network, and all parts of it, is secured. We are not aware of any other conferencing protocol providing same features at the present time.

SILC has secure key exchange protocol that is used to create the session keys for each connection. SILC also provides strong authentication based on either passwords or public key authentication. All authentication data is always encrypted in the SILC network. Each connection has their own session keys, all channels have channel specific keys, and all private messages can be secured with private message specific keys.
    ---------

I am not sure if people will pick this up or not. I suppose it really depends, on how many people hear about it, who want secure communication IRC Style.

More Information: http://silcnet.org/
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Check it out for with a free rootshell account!

www.rootshell.be

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Ummm, would that be spam that I be seeing?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Not at all Its easy and free. I'm in no way affiliated with rootshell other than the fact that I do have a shell acct They do include permissions to use SILC with the free accts. What should i say check it out... with ******* they offer free accounts and use SILC (What would have been the point of my post?) Is antionline a competitor of rootshell...do you offer free accounts or SILC? I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just trying to understand why its spam. How would you of said it (if you would have at all)?

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    BogoMips>
    How would you of said it (if you would have at all)?
    Just like you did in this second post. Spam doesn't have anything to do with being an antionline competitor. AO used to make revenue off of advertising (and may still...not sure). Advertising in a thread is cosidered spam because you are not paying for it. But like you said, you are not a rootshell affiliate or anything. I would have just said something along the lines of, "If you don't have access to a *nix machine, rootshells will allow you to use silc on their system" or something along those lines.....although that still kinda looks like spam. I think you get my point...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

actually, i thought the same thing, as souleman did. lol

How would you of said it (if you would have at all)?
    Allow me to accept that challenge.

"Hey, I know a shell hosting company who is free, and lets you use SILC with it, if anyone is interested ask, and I shall respond."

Or to spice it up:

"SILC is awesome, I use it all of the time, and the protocol is coming along quite nicely. Does anyone know of any shell hosting sites, that allow you to connect to SILC servers? I only know of one <insert shell hosting company here>"

Ok i'm done having fun.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]