Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clossing off open ports.

The port won't be open if there is not anything making it be opened, as far as I know. If you do not have an FTP running, port 21 will not be open. If you do not have telnet running, then 23 will not be open. Do you understand? Just port scan yourself to see what ports are opened, and if some are that are not wanted to be, then go to a reference guide to see what the port is used for and shut off the program. I have enclosed a listing of ports and what they do here.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Closeing open ports is different in each operating system. In Win NT, you simply tell a service not to run, in unix, you change your init scripts, etc etc. Yes, it was a pretty simple question, but it would help if you gave a little more information.

BTW, I don't know of any way to completely disable a port so that it cannot be opened. Say if you somehow got sub7 on your machine, there is no way to keep it from opening a port, unless you know it is there and kill its service. Thats why you keep your AV definitions up to date.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    umm jehnx.......you wana fix your post

If you do not have telnet running, then 80 will not be open
    Telnet is 23, HTTP is 80.

and you attached a port list
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Hehe, I fixed it...wasn't paying any attention, so thanks for the heads up. 1 person has downloaded the portlist...I know all of you don't have one of these things!

or simply u can download a nice tool called Inzider from ntsecurity.nu ( i guess so..hehe )......
    this will let u know which ports are binded to which processes..........after that u can simply kill those processes ( or services )...........simple enough..

bye
    theeta.