Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think of this? Be honest...

What do you guys think of this? Be honest...

I ran SEVEN tests on my PC last night using EIGHT different firewalls, and this is what I came up with. ). I'm using TWO firewalls:

Agnitum Outpost Pro
    (set up to let allow my most common applications access to the net)

Sygate Personal Pro
    (set up to ask me whenever any application wants to access the net, including Internet Explorer)

Then I also have Trojan Remover and The Cleaner 3 installed, and they regularly check my machine for Trojans and other programs, and also scan for changes to programs that I already have installed.

These are the tests I ran on my PC:

pcAudit
    GRC Leak Test
    GRC Port Scan
    Too Leaky
    PC Flank Port Scan
    Fire Hole
    Outbound

pcAudit is probably the best Trojan simulator test to try, because it's ultra sneaky. This is how my system works to stop it:

pcAudit hijacks other programs, the ones that you allow to access the net (even the firewall itself), to send your info to their website. Well, what I did was restrict the number of applications that I allow to use the net on Agnitum Outpost Pro (and even then they're only partly trusted). Then I set up Sygate so that it asks me for permission before anything goes out. So what happens is that when I turn on pcAudit I get this strange message from Outpost Pro saying Windows Explorer wants to access the net. I have to then ask myself why? I didn't initiate this. Then why is information trying to leak out? Obviously something's wrong. So I say no. Ok, so then a moment later I get a message from Sygate saying that Internet Explorer wants to access the net. But why? I didn't initiate this either. So I say no again. Ok, so then pcAudit just says "Your PC is well protected" and turns off. Voila. The system passes the test. Outpost and Sygate are the only two firewalls I tested that pcAudit can't hijack for some reason.

You given NeoWatch a try?

I've been using it quite happily for a while now.

www.neoworx.org

God bless,
    --PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Try this test on 1 firewall.[say Agnitum first]
    Than on Sygate.

Will you get the same allerts?

Using 2 firewalls your first firewall detects something than your second firewall gives no allert only when the first doesn t detect it the second one will allert you[when he detects it??]

I like to hear your results. bye
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

It sounds to me like you tried SEVEN different tests on EIGHT diferent firewalls, and got NINE different results, and now need to come up with TEN ideas to fix them.

My opinion is that ONE firewall is enough!!

If it is configured correctly, you will not have any issues. Instead of wasting time with more than one firewall take some time to try an IDS.

Like it has been said before in these forums, using more than one firewall is like using more than one condom. It doesn't really give you any extra protection and it just makes it harder to get the job done.

Like it has been said before in these forums, using more than one firewall is like using more than one condom. It doesn't really give you any extra protection and it just makes it harder to get the job done. [/B][/QUOTE]

I sorry Invictus that isn t true!
    As i said in another post my norton personal firewall 2001 did not detect microsoft windows kernel core component!!!

Sygate my second firewall did detect it!!!!!

At this moment norton also detects it[after an update]

So the second firewall did ad something to the defence!!!!
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

The simple fact of the matter is one of those firewalls is going to get hit with the data first and so it's going to bark first.

iNViCTuS - I couldn't have said it better myself.

dpwes - If you want more protection then let me recommend setting up a gateway box in between your PC and internet connection. A really easy one to setup and get running is from www.clarkconnect.org. It's a simple Linux install that takes almost no knowledge of linux, you just need to know your pertinent IP info and you'll be up and running. This solution will afford you more security (not to mention stability) in the long run.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

personally I don't see a problem with using more than one but be sure it is configured right.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Banned
    I have to agree that more then one firewall is a waste..... get a firewall that is totaly customizable.... If its a good firewall(unlike norton) It will get the job done.

When i was on windows my favorite Firewall was Tiney Personal Firewall, it was very good and if u configured it right didnt give me any problems

Ones enough!

Like it has been said before in these forums, using more than one firewall is like using more than one condom. It doesn't really give you any extra protection and it just makes it harder to get the job done.
    But what if she's on the pill and you use a condom? Surely that reduces the risk. Hmmm...but then the pill would be like the virus scanner and the condom would be the firewall. Have I got the analogy right?

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    sounds about right to me hot_ice. Unless of course you use spermacie and/or the foam. Then there are always diaphrams and the sponge and etc etc.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman