Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think of this? Be honest...

I love to see the downward spiral of some of these threads.

Keep it up everyone. It's amazing to see how a thread about two firewalls turns into sex education. I just love it.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by gold eagle
    personally I don't see a problem with using more than one but be sure it is configured right.

gold eagle so true.

Never seen some evedence 1 software firewall 100% fail proof.

New versions[updates] of firewalls keep on comming so their is something to improve.

The makers of firewalls are obvious not so convedent off their own products!

Why should we trust 1 software firewall if the next update or new version prob.will come after a few months.

Tell me!
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

is he talking about his personal computer if so damni thought i was paranoid one firewall to me is fine i use tiny on my windows machine and havent had any problems but on my network i use firewall between external router and dmz, and a firewall between dmz were i keep xternall servers and my internal router inside internal router an ids

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

New versions[updates] of firewalls keep on comming so their is something to improve.[and not trust]

Compare sygates 4.2 version with 5.0 beta and you know what i mean!

http://www.sygate.com/swat/products/...atsnew_std.htm
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

First off, installing a software firewall on whats your trying to protect is a flawed idea in itself. Using two firewalls is even more flawed. It just eats up resouces and you could still get screwed in the ass.... Don't see your condoms helpin you with that now do you. Personally setup a firewall on a computer that will act as a gateway or buy a firewall appliance perfereably with NAT.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Kadeng...

New updates of firewall software that are released are aimed more at functionality upgrades, not so much security updates. A basic firewall has served it's purpose for many years. The reason firewalls are getting better is because they are getting easier to configure.

So...like I said, multiple firewalls serves no purpose other than making a system more complicated and consuming more of your system resources. If you are going to use multiple firewalls, have one as a gateway at your network perimeter, and then a software based firewall (I personally like Tiny also) on your machine.

But I could think of much better things to be doing with my resources than loading up my systems with extra firewalls. Why don't you try to find out how many hacks can be done against a firewall itself. And no I am not talking about something that was misconfigured. When you find something major, come back and tell me.

Nearly all attacks are done by exploiting weakness in services that are not filtered by the firewall, not the firewall itself, so don't waste your time...

I downloaded agnitum (free version) installed it configured it and used pcaudit and it came back as your computer is secure I think everyone is right, the second one is just eating resources.
    Never Criticize a man until you\'ve walked a mile in his shoes, that way when you do criticize him you\'ll be a mile away and you\'ll have his shoes.

Hi all how you doing.

Well firstly differant firewalls work on diff levels of the osi so in theory you could do with 3 differant firewalls for the 3 differant levels that a firewall can work on.

Of cause most fiewalls cover these differant levels.

But with a piece of software that has been programmed there are allways little glitches so using two firewalls is a good idea personally i use 3 firewalls Protect X, Zone alarm, Tiny Personal Firewall each of them doing something else protecting diff ports and some ports are covered twice or thwice.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

Originally posted here by THE-OMEN

Well firstly differant firewalls work on diff levels of the osi so in theory you could do with 3 differant firewalls for the 3 differant levels that a firewall can work on.

Sorry to say, but all firewalls except for a proxy server work at layer 4 (which is where TCP and UDP reside).

Proxy servers operate at the application layer and therefore must have an understanding of the application in order to literally tear down and rebuild the session. This is why Proxies are limited in flexibility, and impact performance. But, they are very secure.

All personal firewalls operate the same, none go higher than layer 4 and no personal firewalls are proxies, but can operate at layer 3 for basic packet filtering, like blocking all traffic from a certain IP address as an example.

Therefore i stick to my original opinion that all personal firewall are essentially the same because none of them inspect traffic any more strictly than the others. It all comes down to configuration. Which is why I say choose the PF that you are most comfortable with and is the easiest for you to use.

Now that you better understand this, maybe you can understand why using more than one firewall on the same machine is idiotic.

Your theory is about the same as saying you want to buy 2 cars to help you get to work faster. When in reality you can only drive one at a time anyway, so why not just pick the one that you like best and save yourself some money.

And 3 firewalls at once!!!

You really need help.

**Note to everyone** Sorry for the flame, but I am just trying to get my point across

I might need help but i am the omen i suggest you read networking complete it agree's with my above point although i can see where you are comming from
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]