Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how d war dialer works?

how d war dialer works?

I've been reading certain articles about how ppl do hacking using a war dialer..

I just want to know behind the war dialer programs, how they detect the outcoming/incoming signal from certain pc/phone line and how they identify the phone line...
    or easily how they works?

war dialers connect to a given range of tel numbers . If there's a computer, a fax machine or something else this machine will send a handshake tone. The war dialer detects this signal and records it. It's even possible that a war dialer gets the operating system on the computer (if there's a computer)...
    But if you connect to a network, the activity of a war dialer can be easily detected...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Knowledge is the Real Power"
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

Wardialers are the "old" versions of scanners that scan a range of IP's.
    The different thing is that, you don't have to pay really big amounts of phone bills with new scanners and they are limited to the Net, not "phone line access only" computers.
    Try, Fail but Do iT at last!
    ASA The ZeroTimeR
    The Turkish IT Documentation Project

although war-dialers are an old idea theres nothing outdated about it. some of the biggest security holes come from machines with modems on them, connected to an otherwise secure network and many industrial devices are controlled by telnet/hyperterm over phone lines.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

War-dialers are slowly fading away.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    I'd advise against using the "classic" wardialers that use phonelines and calls different numbers. Switching stations are now equiped with monitors to detect such activity.

They have been set to log the number that's making the calls and analyze where the number is from. So if it's a telemarketer, the computer has the number registered, if it isn't, it logs it and sends an alert to the phone company.

Just thought I'd give the heads-up before someone gets in trouble. It'll pick up after about an hour or so of dialing numbers....

Talking

Some pathetic depressed leprachun gave me some negative antipoints for the above post...
    Actually I don't care about antipoints, but the message was interesting, stating;

"Know what you are talking about before you post. A war dialer and IP scanner are two different things...Dumbass "

Ahem, as I said in the post they are the "old" version of our days IP range scanners.
    Those days there weren't many computers on Internet, so people used war dialers to detect computers etc.
    I know what war dialers are for, and son I have used them for a long time in the past in combination with jammers, perhaps when you were just a protein...
    Being a newbie in the board, doesn't mean that I am a newbie in the computer world.
    Check my ID# and see it for yourself.

Ps: This is not flaming, this is clearification for the disabled... And I wonder who is that leprachun that calls me "dumbass". An underage wannabe perhaps...
    Try, Fail but Do iT at last!
    ASA The ZeroTimeR
    The Turkish IT Documentation Project

Hi there

Wardialers are named after the film "Wargames" - If you haven't seen it, do - it's a cheesy 1970s "little-hacker kid nearly causes nuclear war" film

Wardialers are typically programs which ring a lot of phone numbers, in an attempt to elicit some response (typically a modem carrier). A wardialler is effectively a program which automates "scanning" - which is very labourious if done by hand.

It's possible with modern voice modems to make one which will determine if it's a fax machine, modem or human even, and record a short sample or such like.

As tyger_claw correctly suggests, such programs which ring a lot of numbers are easily detectable by a modern digital exchange, which can flag an alarm if it detects many different numbers being dialled from the same line.

Wardialers are still a security risk (IMHO) as people still pay scant attention to dial-up security, with security policies more focused on internet technologies. Also, dial-up servers are often old or obscure systems which are more likely to have vulnerabilities and less likely to be patched.

I agree with you Tedob1.

Modems are a huge problem in organisations. They can be used as a back door into your network, bypassing all of your perimeter security infrastructure (Fw's Access Lists.....).

Attempting to remove them from your network is even more frustrating...
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

today's war dialers do not sequence dial for extended periods.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.