Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to start in programming?

where to start in programming?

I'm a complete newb and no very little about anything. I'm pretty sure i wanna learn to program, so i just need to know where to start. First, i have to learn some languages right? If anyone could just tell me where to start an where to go on from there i would really appreciate it.

qBasic was my first experience with programming languages (long time ago...) . not the best but not too bad to learn the basics (as the name says... ).
    then Visual Basic (my favourite), html, javascript, php

this was my way, i don't say it's the best...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Knowledge is the Real Power"
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

And you can learn what meister said by searching over Internet and downloading some good tutourials, e-books, manuals,.....
    Good luck

Alot of people say that learning a high-level language such as Basic or Pascal helps understand the lower level languages such as C and Assembly. Not I. I say learn Assembly first, then work your way up.

Cool short answer

As others said most easy to learn is qbasic or visual basic.. this languages are really easy to learn but problem is that you can get some "wrong habits" because this languages are not much similar to C or C++.

other languages you could start with are languages as pascal or delphi - IMHO this languages are best to start with because they are pretty similar to C or C++ in their structure but the syntax is more understandable than C/C++ syntax is...

I mean that

if chckAutomat.Checked = true then
    begin
    lblVysledek.Caption := edtVstup1.Text + ' ' + edtVstup2.text;
    end

is more easy to grasp than

for(i=0;i<vpoli;i++)
    {
    cout<<PoleHodnot[i]<<endl; //vypise serazene hodnoty
    }

(this examples aren't the same, of course, i just put here part of my progs I now found)

And the last one is C/C++ this languages are really strong but also most hard to learn...

So IMHO you should start with delphi... but It's up to you...
    (of course there are many other languages to do but I mentioned just the one I studied)

Good luck on your way to be gooooood programmer

hey guys... thanks for all the good suggestions..
    but im having trouble finding the information on a couple of lagnuages. The only one i could find was HTML. I've tried yahoo and geocities. If you guys know a good sight with tutorals for the languages or a better search engine can u give it to me?

www.google.com
    no problems with this
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Depending on what you want to program will determine what language you want to learn. If you don't give a crap about web site design, then html, asp, and php will all be useless. You need to state what type of programming you want to do. If you want to do time critical prgrams, go with asm/c/c++. If you want multiplatform, go with Java. If you want simple, learn basic. Etc etc.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

when im searching for the languages in the search engines, i dont get good results. what should i type in when wanting information on a certain language

and what language are you looking for?
    its really simple - for example try this - delphi programming basics - and then just look for site which is for you the best
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]