Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux heads

Linux heads

For everyone who thinks they know linux, tell me this. How do you load and use FTP on a RED HAT LINUX box. Answer this too, Where did you find it and step by step instructions if possible. Holla

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Ummm, can you be a little bit more specific about your question? Are you trying to run an ftp server or an ftp client?
    There is a built in ftp client. Just type "ftp <site addy>" at a command prompt.

Now if you are looking for a server, there are a crap load of them. Depeneding on what type of install you did, it may already be running. I know it installs by default if you do a server install. Type "ps -aux|grep ftpd" That will show you if you are already running a server, and just have something blocking it.

If not, you have to determine what ftp server you want to run. Most of them have rpm files, so it is extreamly simple to get them running. Just dl the rpm file from the web, then type " rpm -ivh <filename>" and it will do the rest.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I'm trying to run an FTP server. I did a text base install and I am currently running on KDE (better games). I would like to get the best FTP server out there. Could you tell me a site that has it and also tells how to install it using the commands or what not. I have to explain how I came about this answer and prove it to him. Thanks Souleman.

INstall Proftpd it's very very easy...there's an example config, just modify it to your needs.

to 36_chambers , look at red hats web site or look at download.com and search on them for your FTP

For everyone who thinks they know linux, tell me this. How do you load and use FTP on a RED HAT LINUX box. Answer this too, Where did you find it and step by step instructions if possible. Holla
    Redhat installs an ftp server by default on a server install. During the install check the server option instead of the workstation option and this will set your linux box up as a server. Ftp should be running by default. To check if ftp is running type:

chkconfig --list

You should see ftp in the list of services and some of the switches should be set to on. If for some reason ftp did not come up in the list of available services type:

chkconfig --add wu-ftpd
    or
    chkconfig --add proftpd

(depending on what ftp server you have installed)

This is will add ftp to the list of available services. Do a chkconfig --list again and check that the switches next to your ftp are set to on. If they're not on type:

chkconfig wu-ftpd on
    or
    chkconfig proftpd on

(again depending on what ftp server you have installed)

You now should be able to ftp to your linux box by typing:

ftp name_of_your_box_goes_here

Hope this helps .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

hey dudes i have linux red hat 7.1 and i need help.... i want to lern

I have a spot on one of my harddrive partitions for a brand new OS. Tell me, should I install linux? If so, what kind? Sorry, just thought i'd ask.
    Give a man a fire, he\'s warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he\'s warm for the rest of his life.

well you can install linux then you need install the lilo boot to choose the OS that you have installed

I have a spot on one of my harddrive partitions for a brand new OS. Tell me, should I install linux? If so, what kind? Sorry, just thought i'd ask.

weevil
    hey dudes i have linux red hat 7.1 and i need help.... i want to lern

bACTERIA
    Please start a new thread if you have a question not related to the current thread. Otherwise it confuses all us other people .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.