Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux heads

hi

try pure-ftpd. i'll post some urls/instructions later if i can find them!

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

ok here goes...
    1. download pure-ftpd-1.08.tar.gz from sourceforge.net, its only 435k.
    2. copy/save/move it to a temporary directory (e.g. /usr/local/src or /tmp/) and cd to it.
    3. $ tar -zxvf pure-ftpd-1.0.8.tar.gz
    4. $ cd pure-ftpd-1.0.8
    5. configure it, there are a whole lot of options, i've included the ones i used:
    $ ./configure --without-usernames --without-banner --with-sysquotas --with-cookie --with-ftpwho --with-virtualchroot
    6. run make on it
    $ make install-strip
    7. run it with /usr/local/src/pure-ftpd & (the path may be different depending upon where you installed it) and try ftp'ing to it locally ($ ftp localhost) and using one of your user accounts. it should log you in.
    8. read the documentation for it, then tweak the run options.

note: i started to use pure-ftpd because it is slightly simpler than proftpd, and more secure.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

This is for Weevil, I think you should install linux. but linux has to be in the very beginning of the hard drive or it will crap out later down the road. You might need to read up on linux before you install too. From what I heard, everything has to be perfect in order for it run smoothly and not crap out later on. Holla

Banned
    you want a pr0n server dont you well ill tell u what u open it you give me the site and accses and ill give u a lollypop sound fair
    RiOtEr

Thanks secretagent. I needed that help! Also is it easy to install or activate squid for linux?

i don't know. i've never tried to. i assume it wouldn't be too difficult, just look for a HOWTO for it, or check out their site (http://www.squid-cache.org).
    take up RiOtEr's suggestion yet? =)
    * click *

This is for Weevil, I think you should install linux. but linux has to be in the very beginning of the hard drive or it will crap out later down the road. You might need to read up on linux before you install too. From what I heard, everything has to be perfect in order for it run smoothly and not crap out later on. Holla
    This is not strictly accurate. Newer versions of Linux can reside wherever you want on your hard drive. As long as you set up your boot partition to be read first at start up, you should have no problems with larger hard drives. For dual installs you have to install windows first then linux otherwise windows will overwrite your linux partitions as FAT32.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.