Get yer P3P while it's hot...

Thread: Get yer P3P while it's hot...

Get yer P3P while it's hot...

i've just started messing around with P3P and thought i'd post this in webdev but i figured it would be of interest...and visible to more here...

P3P Spec from W3C

The Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P) enables Web sites to express their privacy practices in a standard format that can be retrieved automatically and interpreted easily by user agents. P3P user agents will allow users to be informed of site practices (in both machine- and human-readable formats) and to automate decision-making based on these practices when appropriate. Thus users need not read the privacy policies at every site they visit.

Although P3P provides a technical mechanism for ensuring that users can be informed about privacy policies before they release personal information, it does not provide a technical mechanism for making sure sites act according to their policies. Products implementing this specification MAY provide some assistance in that regard, but that is up to specific implementations and outside the scope of this specification. However, P3P is complementary to laws and self-regulatory programs that can provide enforcement mechanisms. In addition, P3P does not include mechanisms for transferring data or for securing personal data in transit or storage. P3P may be built into tools designed to facilitate data transfer. These tools should include appropriate security safeguards.

freeware P3P Policy editor at

What is P3P Policy Editor?
    The IBM P3P Policy Editor is a visual tool, with an easy-to-use interface, for creating a Web site's privacy policy in the P3P language, which can be interpreted by Web browsers and other user agents that support the Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P) specification from the W3C. P3P allows users to automate the acceptance or rejection of a Web site's requests for information, based on user preferences set in browsers or client devices. Users are assured that their privacy is protected without having to read each Web site's privacy policy.
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I heard about this a few weeks ago. And my first thought when i saw the title was "Wow new type of distribution technology?" when i saw the topic heading for this thread, i had the same thought. lol

I think this is a good idea. I hate reading privacy policies

Edit: ok i'm an idiot.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]