Programming question (VB)

Thread: Programming question (VB)

Programming question (VB)

I am making an installer program that autoruns on a CD-ROM in VB 6.0. I got the program where it autoruns and brings up a dialog screen. Then I have it so the user clicks a button and it starts an installation file. Now for the problem, do you know of a way to make it so the first program (installer) can detect when the second program (setup) has completed. Installer calls setup but I have to way for the user to click a button to tell me when the setup is complete. I would rather have the installer detect when the setup is complete so it can automatically go to the next step and advise the user what to do.

There are a number of ways to accomplish this jehnx, which install maker are you using, then we can go from there

One way of doing it would be to set up your first program to take command line arguments. Once the second program has finished, tell it to link to the first program again but call the first program with a command line argument that says the second program has finished. You can use the chain command for this I think (not 100% sure).

So just add:

chain "setup1.bas done"

The first program detects this command line argument and realises that the second program has finished its work. Hope this helps .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

The chain command worked...thanks a ton.

The chain command worked...thanks a ton
    No problem. I had to think way back to my GW-BASIC days for the answer to that one .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.