Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 98SE

Angry Win 98SE

hey guys, whats up? I'm having a problem with Win 98SE. Something is wrong with the DNS. The PC is online but I cannot type website address' or go on AIM or anything. I can goto a command prompt and ping outside IPs fine. I had the same problem with a Win XP machine and I fixed it by formatting. It was the only way I could do it. I don't want to have to do that again because this PC is my little cousins and she has all her school work on it and alot of different programs she needs. Can anyone possibly tell me what could be the problem??

thanks alot

Chris

That is really weird...you can ping out, but can not surf the web? That doesn't make sense.

hi,

try to reinstall the tcp/ip drivers for your network card (if broadband) or ppp adapter (dial-up modem). see how it goes.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

yeah i dunno what it could be? I checked Microsoft's site but haven't found anything. As for rebuilding the protocol stack, I tried that on the XP machine I had problems with but same thing...

[glowpurple] [/glowpurple]

Hi mom!
    In what kind of network is the PC? I had the same problem because I forgot to forward DNS-requests on the server...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    when you ping, are you using the name, or the address? ie ping www.yahoo.com or ping 192.168.1.5 or whatever? If you are using the number, then the problem is with dns, otherwise, it is someplace else.

For your web browser, check to see what connection it is using. I had that problem with a 2K install. It was set to use my modem, even when I was on a lan, so ping worked fine, but my web browser was messed up. Not sure about the aim problem though, since I don't use it. There may be somethin in their which asks what to use for the connection.

For IE, goto tools --> Internet Options --> connections. There is something similar in any web browser.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

This PC is setup in a college university ethernet network. I know there's nothing wrong with the network because my cousins roomate is on the ethernet with no problem. As for pinging, I ping using the numbers. I did check my web browser connections and everything is fine. This is mind boggling...

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Can you ping using the name address? Like www.yahoo.com?

If not, you are obviously having problems with DNS. Does the university use dhcp or static ip addys? Check the config for the net card, and make sure it is set correctly. It should be getting the DNS server from the dhcp server, if it runs dhcp. Otherwise, contact the network admin and ask him what the DNS server should be. You can enter in the DNS server in the network card setup.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I neglected to mention that I did speak to the network admin and all the IP's were correct. Sorry bout that

so whats the problem?