DSL Modems - Question

Thread: DSL Modems - Question

DSL Modems - Question

Hi All,

As some of you probably already know, a couple of my friends and I have a small freelance web development company. We currently host our sites on a DSL connection. We are using a speedstream DSL modem.

Occasionally, about once a month we lose our internet connection. All that has to be done is hit the reset button on the modem and everything goes back to normal. Right now we don't host any major sites, just some small personal sites to test out our hosting capabilities. Well, needless to say I want to stop this crap about resetting the modem. When we start hosting higher profile sites we can't be having the modem crapping out on us.

I have been talking back and forth with our DSL provider, and they are being helpful. They are going to send us a new modem. But before I go hooking up their modem I would like to know if any of you have some suggestions for reliable and long lasting DSL modems. I will be requesting a list of modems that are compatible with the DSL service I have, and I want to purchase and use the best modem available.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Get a new modem... I use a Cisco, no problems whatsoever. I haven't been disconnected in... about 8 months now, and still going strong.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Banned
    How much would a cisco modem set you back?

Actually, the Cisco modem won't set me back much. A friend of mine is getting rid of one for cheap. The DSL Provider is said they have had reports about this modem dropping connection occasionally and they are going to give me a different modem to use. I'm going to see how that works and if I still have problems go get a Cisco.

uraloony, could you give me the Cisco Modem's you have model name? Thanks.

could be a ip lease time issue....a lot of isp's provide semistatic ips...with lease expiries of varying times...if your lease expires...and the modem doesn't reset itself with a new one...you lose connectivity....
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

zigzar, thanks for the reply, but I am positive it's not that. The provider knows that it's customers host web sites, and have a lot of smaller businesses like mine using them as their upstream.

The problem definitely seems like it is the modem, and the provider even said that they have been getting reports about that modem dropping connection.