Thread: Spyware in Kazaa

Spyware in Kazaa

Check out this article from ZDNet.
    By installing Kazaa you agree to this: "You hereby grant (Brilliant) the right to access and use the unused computing power and storage space on your computer/s and/or Internet access or bandwidth for the aggregation of content and use in distributed computing".

There is software installed in Kazaa that makes it possible to use you both your CPU and your storage space. Probably it's not gonna harm you, but if you don't like it, install Kazaalite at http://www.kazaalite.tk I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be a stripped down version without the spyware and shyte.
    ---
    proactive

Yeh, I've tried it and it's good. Also, you might wanna try some of the open source versions of these p2p software things...they hardly ever have spyware, and if they do, since it's open source you can take it out and recompile. :-/

How about the open p2p protocol, something liken openft (for fast track)...

It is the open source version of KAZAA's p2p protocol...

Since it is opensource, no spyware is to be found in there...

And ofcourse KAZAA uses ur processor/HD/Bandwith, As long as you don't un [X] check the checkbox [ ] function as supernode ! !
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    As for the spyware, this is nothing new. Kazaa's had spyware for a few releases now and I got rid of it the minute Ad-Aware found it. Audiogalaxy for mp3s gold is what I use (I pay the monthly fee) and I've never had a problem. Anything that has spyware is a fat-ass no as far as I'm concerned and will never stay on my machine. I've even made use of Norton's Registry Tracker upon installation to make sure I get everything.

As for open source, welcome to the world of doing what you want, when you want, how you want, for whatever reason you want.

By the way, Unisys and Microsoft are putting together a campaign (25 million bucks or so) for a yearly Let's-Discredit-Unix website to educate people or whatnot. What's wrong with this picture? Their website is run on FreeBSD.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

[proactive@localhost proactive]$ telnet www.wehavethewayout.com 80
    Trying 130.94.214.143...
    Connected to www.wehavethewayout.com (130.94.214.143).
    Escape character is '^]'.

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
    Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:10:42 GMT
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 87

???
    Vorlin, perhaps they are covering their tracks?
    ---
    proactive

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I looked that up and here's what I found:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...34&mode=thread

Interesting.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

We've talked about KaZaA's spyware a million times before - look through old threads before re-posting the same old stuff.

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

It isn't exactly just spy-ware that proactive is tell you about....

It is a "piggy-back" distributed program, which will use your CPU processing power, and bandwidth to send advertisements and other such. Not just to you, but to whoever they target.

in short: you will be helping the hated marketers and ad agencies.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]