Update on Carnivore
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Carnivore

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Update on Carnivore

Looks like they're trying to make carnivore into another named scheme or something...

Good read I think.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...01/tc_nf/17009

As far as the Freedom of Information Act, if the media can just walk into a business, "report" what's going on which then in turn causes everyone to dump that product or whatnot which then closes the company, and *gets away* with it because they're "reporting the truth", gah...what kind of shite is that?

Privacy should not be compromised for security and I'm making sure Roadrunner isn't on that list of ISPs using carnivore.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Banned
    Augh, First it was Carnivore then DSC1000 then Magic Lantern.... Its the same exact **** no matter what you name it.... FBI thinks if they give the 'diagnostic tool' a catchy name people wont mind being spied on.... Its like I said before, since Sept 11 privacy is no longer a concern for the US govn't

It seems that liberty suffered as well as people.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

if you take away freedom then what is left?
    IF YOU DON\'T LIKE IT DON\'T READ IT.

I thought Magic Lantern was the key-logging "trojan".

And Carnivore/DSC1000 was the "email filtering" box, which they set-up at the suspects ISP.

johndoe1337: Oh but we are Free! We are free to do the things, that the government says we can.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither.

volin, what are you gonna do when you find out they are? How will you know for sure, you saw haw earth link reacted. "we co-operated fully with the fbi/we wouldn't do anything to compromise our users privacy" im not trying to be sarcastic here.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I wonder if there is any way someone can legally get the list of isp's that are actually using the software. I mean that is a big privacy issue. Especially if businesses are exchanging confidential business plans and such. (Even though they should have their own network), but whos to say that if a company rents a T1 line that they arn't being spied on? Furthurmore, if the program was ever comprimised by a 3rd party, who knows what would be safe anymore. Way to many issues with this.

That is a good question. I don't think I have ever seen an article which talks about finding out if such and such ISP uses it.

But I think the way it works, is if the FBI suspects someone, they go to that person's ISP, and set up Carnivore. Until they are able to prove that person is breaking the law. I don't think, they can go to ISP's and say "hey we are setting Carnivore up here, and are "just making sure" that there are no evil-doer's using your ISP".

Does anyone know exactly how the FBI uses it?
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I've read in the past.. (4or5 months ago) that they needed to have a warrent from the courts to implement use of it. [COUGH]Bullshit![/COUGH]. But since september 11th the FBI will do whatever they want and no government agency or court is going to let you argue about it. National security? More like National surveilance...

I agree with the fact that since 911 there should be extra precautions put in place... But the power of the FBI seriously needs a power check. I always was told the the two houses were there to provide the "checks and balances" that ensures the the USA remains a democracy for the people, and not become a dictatorship. Dictatorship.... thats a strong word to use in this example.. but due to a lack of a better word....

xmaddness