Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happened to you....

Banned

Question Has this ever happened to you....

A few years ago when I was installing windows 95 on my old 486dx 100, I would start to install Win95... then when I set everything (software to install, hardware...) it would go to step 3 (install windows on hardrive)...but, it would loop back to the beginning of step 1 (Where would you like to put windows? C:\windows, other) over and over.... wierd eh?

how's your partition size?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Sounds like a personal question?

DjM
    DjM

I had a similar problem it was because I ran out of hard disk space. Installing windows95 on a 486 is always an adventure.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Unhappy

Win95 sucks the big one!

You must have a really small partition size if it wont fit 95 on it... I had a 386 DX with a 120 meg hdd running 95 so I dont know what it would be

Banned
    The computer did not have a partitioned hardrive, it was a straight 800meg HD.

I got around it, somehow, but don't remember how.....

cwk9 is correct, installing win 95 on a 486 is always an adventure!

Remember the days when you had to install it via floppy disks? That was livin' large.
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

It was nothing much, what you did is boot from the CD, once you begin to install windows, it is designed for someone to do as little as possible, because the defualt choice will be selected to boot off of you HDD{when your computer restarts}, you should have let it boot from your HDD. If you selected boot from CD, it would do exactly what you just said. It will dump its previous configuration and start the windosw installation, off of the CD. I have seen this happen to multiple users who thought that they should contine off the CD, I would bet that is what you did.

one work around was always to install dos then to run memmaker this used to work for me
    i built a 386 dx 40 with 120 meg hd and 4 meg ram for my kids and thats how i got it to run
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....