Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happened to you....

Last job I had was network installs. Part of the fun was to bring clients into the new millenium by getting rid of their DOS boot disk workstations attaching to a Novell 3.x server. Nothing says modern technology than using DOS 6.22 on a computer.
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

The Iceman Cometh
    I had the same sort of problem installing to a 486dx with a 1.2 GB hard drive. What I ended up doing was starting up via a bootdisk and formatting the hard drive. Once I had done that, I simply copied the necessary files (located in the Win95 directory of the CD-ROM) onto a folder on the hard drive. Once the files were copied (which took a while because of the slow speed of the computer and CD-ROM drive), I installed Windows from the hard drive and had no problem from that point on.

I have a 386DX that I use for a door stop! But then again I still have a functional C64 and C128. Damn, I feel dated.
    [shadow] Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most. - Ozzy :[/shadow]

Banned
    I believe what Avdven said....

I simply copied the necessary files (located in the Win95 directory of the CD-ROM) onto a folder on the hard drive. Once the files were copied (which took a while because of the slow speed of the computer and CD-ROM drive), I installed Windows from the hard drive and had no problem from that point on.
    Was what I did......

Has anyone ever had any other wierd installation problems/phenomenon?

The Iceman Cometh
    I had a Windows 95 horror story on a friend's 486. We installed Windows 95 via the CD-ROM (which was one of the old models with it's own ISA controller card). Windows installed perfectly, but as soon as Windows booted up on it's own, the CD-ROM was gone. Absolutely no where to be found. After doing a lot of research on a relatively new operating system (Windows 95 was still brand new at the time), I learned that I still had to manually load the DOS drivers for the CD-ROM and it's controller card via the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

Another one occured actually not that long ago. I was trying to install Windows 98 to an old computer, but the 98 boot disk did not detect the CD-ROM. When I tried to run the driver installation program that came with the computer, it said that the program could not be installed unless Windows was open. I was caught in a Catch-22 (needed CD-ROM to install Windows, but needed Windows to install CD-ROM). Eventually, I just scrapped the CD-ROM and used one from another computer and it worked fine.

AJ

Banned
    That would suck getting stuck in that catch 22 problem....

It's kinda dumb how newer stuff doesn't like to run in a 16bit atmosphere....

Originally posted here by bowlfreak
    Remember the days when you had to install it via floppy disks? That was livin' large.
    I remember upgrading 3.1 to 95 with floppy disk on about 30 computers at work
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

Banned
    OUCH! I had done it once, with like 40 disks......

My sympathy goes out to you

Damn Win32 95 have bugs.... It's funny to read about all that funny stuff you can make with a win32 95 user.... BTW: I run Win32 95 on my laptop....... It have also 8 mb ram and a CPU on 120 Mhz.......

Banned
    sounds like my laptop..... except that I have 48mb ram and run 98... (never was a fan of 95)