Is it really gone?

Thread: Is it really gone?

Is it really gone?

As a habit, I try to cover my tracks online. I have a prog that clears my temp, cookies, and history files, but are they really gone? I have also deleted those directories in DOS mode. Is there anything I am leaving out? Any help would be apreciated.
    \"If the facts don\'t fit the theory, change the facts\" -Albert Einstein

The Iceman Cometh
    It depends what program you're using? Certain programs simply delete the location of the files in the allocation table, while others wipe the space where the files resided. I prefer Evidence Eliminator (http://www.evidence-eliminator.com) because of it's advanced features, which include the ability to wipe deleted files.

the only thing that's really gone is my youth...eheh...check out THIS and THIS
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

str34m3r
    Zigar, Your ability to find related threads amazes me. It seems that you can always find some old thread that pertains to a new question. Perhaps some day I too will learn how to search the archives more effectively.

To securely delete files they must be wiped. Deleting a file only removes the path to it.

I personally think Evidence Eliminator is a little over rated. Not to mention they use an old java trick to show you the contents of your hard drive (and only you...the contents of your drive ARE NOT displayed over the'net)... Here's a page to prove my point. Have a look for yourself...

One of the best wiping tools in my opinion is BCWipe from Jetico. It's free, easy to configure and comes with a handy shell extension. Any files you want to delete, just right click on, then click erase.....Simple, fast, effective!

also shredder from analogx is great...and free...

you just have to know which files you are getting rid of...but it's configurable...so you can set it to shred a dir...oh 5000 times if you want to...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Banned
    yet again raven saves the day twice
    http://www.securitywriters.org/texts...anonymity.html RA copied and pasted this tut when he first started and the flames were brilliant im lazy so if u want it do your own search

and 2

http://blacksun.box.sk/byteme4.html#...20in%20Windows

have a look at that 2 c if things are really gone hehe
    RiOtEr