Thread: Ftp

Question Ftp

I have a question. All the time on irc i c warez fserve and ftp ads. Nothing new. I am currious why so many people involved with warez using ftp's put it up on alternate ports. Isn't the standard ftp port 21?
    Thank you for any information you can give me..

Banned
    Uhm.... maybe you haven't noticed here, but people don't like to talk about condoned topics....

Just giving a heads up to possible flames....

I have a question. All the time on irc i c warez fserve and ftp ads. Nothing new. I am currious why so many people involved with warez using ftp's put it up on alternate ports. Isn't the standard ftp port 21?
    Thank you for any information you can give me..
    This is a fair question I thought. People who run warez ftp servers generally don't want people (ISP's especially) to find their large stash of illegal programs. They seem to think that by changing the port number that the service runs on that poeple will be fooled into thinking that another service is running there instead of an ftp daemon. This might fool the most dim-witted of portscanners but any ISP worth his salt will find these guys and shut down their illegal archives.

Changing the port number that a service runs on is trivial. The port numbers listed in /ect/services are a guide that most people follow but there is nothing physically stopping you from running services on whatever ports you want.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

a lot of the warez ftps are the results of hacks, so they dont want to tip admins of. sometimes they just think its kewl...6969 huhuhuhuh.....he said 69.