proxy question

Thread: proxy question

Banned

proxy question

i have a cable modem and use a proxy server. if i set up a ftp server etc behind the proxy is it possible to access it through the outside? also is it possible to change my domain name to trick a network to letting me in from the outside? hope these questions make sense.

that depends on the proxy your using. if it allows port mapping, that is publishing a server from the inside network to the internet using NAT, you can, tiny pro works this way. if its only a small software proxy like anologx you can, as long as you turn of the ftp proxy feature.

-----------------------------
    it possible to change my domain name to trick a network to letting me in from the outside?
    -----------------------------

its not as simple as that, so no.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    i read about a kid who hacks strickly by doing something like this. is there a tutorial or something that someone knows that can kind of explain this?

just changing your domain name to match dosn't include your machine in a local domain, you would either need admin rights on the network to join the domain, or be adept enough at ipspoofing to make it thing you already belong to the domain and lucky enough to find a network that dosn't check for ipspoofing.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Lightbulb

Originally posted here by AngryBob
    i read about a kid who hacks strickly by doing something like this. is there a tutorial or something that someone knows that can kind of explain this?
    I think you'r talkin' about the NY Times hacker...
    Well what he does is a bit different than what you are asking for...
    OK, let's say there's a server accepts connections only from a specified IP.
    So if I spoof my IP to that specified IP, I can get into that server...
    If the proxy servers are not configured correctly I can do this easier...
    That's the trick (the briefest explanation), but I can't get to details...
    Try, Fail but Do iT at last!
    ASA The ZeroTimeR
    The Turkish IT Documentation Project