New to FTP, help please

Thread: New to FTP, help please

New to FTP, help please

I have a bit of a problem when i try to connect on FTP, see i was reading up on TCP/IP
    and it was talking a lot about FTP and Telnet so i decided to look up some basic commands on FTP but when i tried them out it didnt work i tried putting in my host name with "open then the name of my host but it said no such name. then i typed in my IP adress after i wrote open and it said "> ftp:CONNECT:10060" i thought i was connected so i typed in a command and it told me not connected. So i'm not sure what i'm suppose to do about this or how to get registered any help would be very helpful! Thanks!

Hi mom!
    I don't know which hostname you tried to connect to, but that host has to be running an FTP-server. Furthermore, most of the time, you need some sort of account...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

welcome scotch at AO,

i don't know that i really understood your question but here is a link to learn more about ftp:
    http://www.northernwebs.com/bc/bc60.html

cheers,
    the only thing that doesn\'t change is everything will always change.

Hi Scotch,

It is important that you learn the differences between Passive FTP and Active FTP. If you would like to know more, go to:

www.google.com <--- Google is your friend
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

1. the remote system should have FTP server running.
    2. you should have permission to access the ftp server.
    and what I can guess from your problem is that, you do not have that permission.
    try to find some ftp servers to let you log anonymously.

Re: New to FTP, help please

Originally posted here by ScotchGuy
    ... i decided to look up some basic commands on FTP but when i tried them out it didnt work i tried putting in my host name with "open then the name of my host but it said no such name. then i typed in my IP adress after i wrote open and it said "> ftp:CONNECT:10060" i thought i was connected so i typed in a command and it told me not connected.
    Actually, it sounds like ScotchGuuy is trying to ftp to his own machine since he mentions putting in his hostname and his IP address.

Scotch, what OS are you running? Do you have an ftp server running?

If it never asked for a username and password, I don't think you connected to a site running an ftp daemon. To try ftp, connect to something like:

ftp.tucows.com

They allow anonymous ftp logins I think.
    Username: anonymous
    Password: fill in your email address

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Banned
    dude, try:

open 123.456.678.654 [enter]