Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass Mailing Worms

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    The minute you start expecting MS to start securing things is the minute that MS loses the one thing that got them where they are: ease of use. You can't expect people who bought their brand new blow-paq from Best Buy to understand how anything works. For them, it's to "surf the web" a bit and to email their college kids or some **** like that. Antivirus comes on the machine and it'll protect me forever, right? That's what they think. Updates are a foreign concept and the fact that MS integrates every ****ing thing into IE and OE/Outlook, that just makes it all the more easier for "virus writers" to globally **** companies and others by these ILOVEYOU and MyLife and others...

1: Set the autoupdate feature on the antivirus software so it does it transparently.
    2: Use the scheduler, if not savvy enough, to schedule a weekly full scan and have it set so that it scans all incoming mail through OE/Outlook.
    3: Have a software firewall installed and have someone who knows what they're doing set it up so that way nothing is missed.
    4: Switch to Opera for the browser, and switch to Eudora or something else for email.

Or:

Switch to linux, woo!

Either way, all it would take is half a freaking hour for these dumbasses who claim "they don't have the time to learn all this stuff" when it's basic principles like "Don't open **** you didn't request and don't open **** that looks like it might be addressed to you". I've told my parents, both of which who know nothing but think they do, that the minute they get a virus, they get to take it to Best Buy for 85 bucks an hour for it to be fixed because I won't do it.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Originally posted here by Vorlin

Switch to linux, woo!

I've told my parents, both of which who know nothing but think they do, that the minute they get a virus, they get to take it to Best Buy for 85 bucks an hour for it to be fixed because I won't do it.

It's good to see other people with the same "parental" problems. I have a family member (who shall remain anonymous, Dad) who thinks he's "l33t"...He sends these huge emails using incredimail that come with all these little smiling faces, strange backgrounds and annoying borders. Try telling him that to send anything but plain text is rude and he'll bite ya head off!

We spent all easter arguing about DOS. He was trying to tell me that when using WinMe all you have to do is open a command prompt and that's true DOS. I was saying that you need to reboot using a start up disk. It's the only way to get into "true" DOS....That argument lasted all day....

Needless to say....he get's infected at least once a month. At least it gives me somewhere to practice my worm removal skills....

Sorry for going a little off topic...

I feel your pain, CK, the last 'true' DOS i remember was the one that I installed myself...6.0(or was it 5.5?) i think it was...and actually functioned how it was supposed to under Windows for Workgroups(v.3.11, i think)...W95 worked it out okay, aside from all of the TSR(terminate and stay resident programs...'member those?) errors, that is...sigh...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor