Kazaa wins another fight...

Thread: Kazaa wins another fight...

Kazaa wins another fight...

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I searched and did not see anyone who did. Well, this is good for Kazaa, looks like at least a few courts see what they're feeling.

Companies which make programs to allow file swapping over the internet have won a rare court victory in the Netherlands.
    A Dutch appeal court has ruled in favour of KaZaA and against a music rights organisation, Buma Stemra, allowing the company to distribute its software.

The court overturned an earlier injunction, ruling that even if users chose to breach the copyright on music and films by uploading copies to the internet using KaZaA, that was not the company's problem.

Niklas Zennstrom, KaZaA's Swedish founder, noted that the ruling was too late to save KaZaA, most of whose assets were sold last year to an Australian company.

But he said the decision was "a great victory for our company and the whole technology sector".

Right or wrong

Proponents of file-swapping such as Mr Zennstrom say efforts by music and film companies to stamp out file-swapping stomp all over users' legitimate rights.

If piracy is taking place, they say, the companies should chase the pirates, since file-swapping has myriad entirely legal uses.

But the industry disagrees.

"We are stunned by the verdict," a Buma Stenra spokesman said. A further appeal is possible.

Fight to the death

The ruling stands in stark contrast to most of the court battles over the sometimes conflicting rights of users of copyrighted material and their creators - or, rather, the music and film companies which distribute them.

The US grand-daddy of the file-swapping world, Napster, was almost driven out of business, and is now back with a much less popular pay-per-download system.

The main systems for swapping files - in the past generally MP3 music files but nowadays TV and movie-sourced video files - no longer suffer from Napster's big Achilles' Heel, which was that the lists on its servers allowed users to copy illegally data stored on other people's computers.

Morpheus, MusicCity, KaZaA and the latter's US peer, Grokster, all enable "peer-to-peer" swapping, where the files are distributed around users' computers and don't need lists on a central server to bring the two together.

But they are still facing heavy-handed lawsuits from the entertainment industry.
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/bus...00/1899725.stm.

I did slight editing on the actual article, but you'll probably not notice it if you go to the site and compare it to what I put...nothing that really matters. Hopefully, as I said, no one has already posted this, but if they did, sorry.

yeah dutch guys!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I just wish the courts over in USA would take the same stance they did. :-/

A victory for common sense.........

lol Confirmed, darn right. Good way to put it...very true.

Cool. I read about this earlier. I use Kazaa on a regular basis (having a cable modem helps ), and find it a bit above the gnutella clients.

This is good, but I still dislike them because of the spyware.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

So I was reading Here that this software or spyware (what ever u want to call it) that cam bundled w/ kazza is going too...in quote of the guy writein this article "When the software is "turned on," computers running the Brilliant software will form a new peer-to-peer network separate from but connected to Kazaa" well it is more in depth then that and U might want to know whats going on.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,