Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo! changes privacy policy...

Yahoo! changes privacy policy...

I saw a story posted about this, and I'm pretty sure it was on here, but I'm almost positive it didn't have a link to any actual articles, so here's one. It has to do with Yahoo! changing their privacy policy and opting their users into tons of different spam mail providers without telling the users. I think this is very unprofessional of them, don't you?

Yahoo! changed its privacy policy last week, contemptuously exposing all of its registered users to third-party spam, marketing offers and cold calls that they'd previously said they didn't want.

As from now, Yahoo! mail users are exposed to a dozen unwanted "Special Offers and Marketing Communications", and users who've left their phone numbers with the portal will discover that they've been "agreed" to cold calling and junk snail mail, for good measure.

You can change your preferences manually. This entails setting over a dozen "Enroll Me" options to "No". You'll also need to change the "Special offers from selected Yahoo! partners brought to you by Yahoo! Delivers" to prevent third-party spam, and most importantly (if you've left a mail address or phone number), deselect the contact options.

A robotic email sent to Yahoo! users at the weekend failed to point out that they'd just been opted-in to a blizzard of spam. Instead, the portal pleaded:

"Your privacy is very important to us here at Yahoo! … Our commitment to privacy hasn't changed."

The email then begs users to provide even more detailed personal information with which they can be spammed:

"We invite you to take this opportunity to update your personal information so you can continue to receive content and advertising that is most relevant and interesting to you."

"Please do not reply to this message"

Which by any measure, amounts to something less than full disclosure. Such a policy change is illegal, even in the most distant and barbarous seal-clubbing reaches of the British Commonwealth, Register readers point out:

"In Canada, this action is illegal," notes Jennifer Friesen-Mercurio. "The actions of any organization must comply with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Privacy, and the protection of human rights, is enshrined within the fabric of our laws. A person has the right to not have their life exploited for profit by marketing groups. or used in any way without their knowledge or consent. Even government officials are bound within these laws."

Here's where you can delete your Yahoo! account. ®
    Source: http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/24683.html

Check out THIS link, jehnx. . Yahoo have crossed the line.

Yep, that's the post I was thinking about that didn't link to an outside article. Thanks for linking to it for me. Also, yes, they have definitely crossed the line... I really can't believe they would do something like this. Companies that big and popular, it seems like they would practice good business skills, instead of ruining their own integrity by doing something behind their users' backs. It's a disgrace to their company, and I have since sent an email asking them to delete my account with them, with full reason. I'll just go to Hushmail for my free web-based and pop3 email. They're safer anyway, providing much better encryption than Yahoo! ever has or will.

yah.. thanks mr. K1ll..

oh jehnx.. at first, i didn't have a link but later came back to post this..
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,91984,00.asp

friends of mine alerted me a few days ago..and i only got my notice today.

them scumsuckers. tho' they say it goes into effect in 60 days.

In order to keep you up to date about our many new products and services and how they might be of use to you, we have created a new Marketing Preferences page within the Account Information area. It is designed to make it easier for you to manage the marketing communications you receive from Yahoo! and ensure you get the latest relevant information to meet your needs. We have reset your marketing preferences and, unless you decide to change these preferences, you may begin receiving marketing messages from Yahoo! about ways to enhance your Yahoo! experience, including special offers and new features. Your new marketing preferences will not take effect until 60 days after the date of this mailing, so you have plenty of time to decide what you want to receive and what you don’t. To change your preferences, go to the Marketing Preferences page.

I wonder if they've fixed the "fault" that was troubling them over Easter. I went to sign up for a free account but kept getting taken to their "premium" sign up page. Premium costs US $19.95. That's nearly $40 Australian.........

thank you for opening my eyes
    i wondered why i was recently getting some extra junk mail

No prob bud, no prob.

I dont mean to steal your thunder, jehnx, but I just thought I'd repost the link for people wishing to cancel their Yahoo! account.

Here's where you can delete your Yahoo! account. ®........

Fix ya link bud.

speaking of stealing thunder, not that i really care a whole lot..
    but i think give credit where credit is due.. and to me, that's when the info
    is first posted.. before i post ,i at least try to use the search function..
    failing that, or being lazy as i'm prone to do too .. at least acknowledge the other's
    post.. and not just say "No prob bud, no prob" to credits given, please.
    i'm a nice guy. don't wanna a flame war.. but don't ignore me.

peace...
    (until provoked)