Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web Page Plagarism Protection

Question Web Page Plagarism Protection

Has anyone ever had their web page copied without permission by someone else or known someone who has? What's to stop someone from coming in and copying your web site, and then accusing you of plagarizing them? I understand that you can get your web pages copyrighted? Has anyone done this? Do you think it's worth the trouble?

Some pieces of advice I've gotten on protecting your web page:

1) Make printed copies of your pages because your printed copy will contain the time you did the page. If there's any dispute, this could be evidence.

2) A variation on this: e-mail yourself copies of the web site, but don't open them. This again could be proof of the time and date you created the web page.

3)Disable right click on your site. I asked about this on IRC and I was told it's unprofessional and that I shouldn't do it. What do you think?

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I don't think its unprofeessional if your trying to save images that you have spent time on creating yourself - but it can be annoying if you want to use some of the other functions rightclicking allows such as add to favourites, back, create shortcut because of this I have done a wee search for you to find an improved version of the code i sent u in irc

<script language="JavaScript1.2">

/*
    Disable right click script II (on images)- By Dynamicdrive.com
    For full source, Terms of service, and 100s DTHML scripts
    Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com
    */

var clickmessage="Right click disabled on images!"

function disableclick(e) {
    if (document.all) {
    if (event.button==2||event.button==3) {
    if (event.srcElement.tagName=="IMG"){
    alert(clickmessage);
    return false;
    }
    }
    }
    else if (document.layers) {
    if (e.which == 3) {
    alert(clickmessage);
    return false;
    }
    }
    else if (document.getElementById){
    if (e.which==3&&e.target.tagName=="IMG"){
    alert(clickmessage)
    return false
    }
    }
    }

function associateimages(){
    for(i=0;i<document.images.length;i++)
    document.images[i].onmousedown=disableclick;
    }

if (document.all)
    document.onmousedown=disableclick
    else if (document.getElementById)
    document.onmouseup=disableclick
    else if (document.layers)
    associateimages()
    </script>
    this code only disables rightclick on images so u r free to right clicking anywhere else on the page - its not a fool proof way of stopping people from stealing your pictures as a quick look at the pages source can give their location but there are progs out there that encrypt your source in such a way that its almost unreadable by the average user but most browsers can still display it properly

hope this helps

v_Ln

edit-> soz i forgot to mention that you should insert this script right at the end of your code just before the </body> tag

Oh was that you! Lol. Thanks Valhallen.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

heh np mate

v_Ln -----> valhallen

you'd be surrprised at the amount of peps get confused by it

v_Ln

just a little piece of advise...
    nerver thought of looking into the cache?
    visit a site were right click is disabled. all pictures html docs etc. are saved under:
    c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\*.*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Knowledge is the Real Power"
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

Images and stuff are quite easy to fetch unless they are made in flash..

Pages made in flash are not saved locally..

(tried to do another search but nope.. wasn't able to find anything)

If you really want to protect your page.. I can think of a way to make ALL the images in Flash and implement those instead of a normal *.jpg or *.gif/*.php

BB_Wolf even flash files are storred in your temporary internet directory - and there are progs out there that will rip images sounds etc from .swf files

There is no truely safe way of putting your images online - but disbaling right click on them just stops lil kiddies from ripping them off as easily

v_Ln

Then I am sorry Preacherman..

I thought flash would be a safe way to protect your stuff online.

Ignore my message!

Banned
    If you use no cache headers you could use flash....

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
    <meta http-equiv="no-cache">
    <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="-1">
    <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache">
    And anyway... It doesnt matter what you do with right-click, people can always view your source code with the menu or just using
    Code:
    view-source:http://www.antionline.com

I have seen some sites that use a script to load the pictures so that even if you view the source you can't find their addy - but as i said above
    a quick look at the pages source can give their location but there are progs out there that encrypt your source in such a way that its almost unreadable by the average user but most browsers can still display it properly
    you can just turn your code to what seems like garbage to keep the pics addy's hidden

v_Ln