Thread: Steps to hackerproofing your PC

Post Steps to hackerproofing your PC

OK guys i've downloaded and instituted using Zone Alarm to help shut off my ports and computer access and i've switched to using Trillion as my messenger for msn, yahoo, and aim.
    I also have a good virus scanning software called InoculateIt in case im infected for some reason...what should i get next and what steps should i take in order to make sure i have a safe computer and to help from getting froze or booted in chat rooms like on yahoo.

If you have Windows 95, 98, 2000 is to turn off Visual Basic Scripting also known as WSH Windows Scripting Host. This blocks Love-bug type attacks
    (.VBS)

1.Click the Windows Start Button on your taskbar.
    2.Choose settings Control Panel.
    3. Click the Add/Remove programs icon in Control Panel.
    4.Click the Windows Setup tab in the Add/Remove programs dialog box.
    5.Click Accessories in the list box.
    6.Click the Details button.
    7.Uncheck the Windows Scripting Host check box.
    8.Click the OK buttons to close the dialog boxes.

Harden your computer, by disabling any service that isnt specifically required.

Do a google search on "hardening" etc...
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Banned
    I use ZoneAlarm too...
    Thanks for the info guys...
    I always did uncheck the WSH by habit...
    But I will check the "hardening" results....

Banned
    Oh yeah, btw, I ran ZoneAlarm with BlackICE and I would get stops by BlackICE that Zonealarm wouldn't show, and vice versa.....

Here's the question.... is zone missing stuff and ice detects or vice versa?

You can install as many programs as you like to secure your box. But without proper configuration it is still vulnerable.
    A good thing to do is to check your networking configuration as well, especially under Win 98. make sure NetBEUI is disabled.

- I thought this was a really good post for me. I am currently in the process of upgrading my PC and improving the security. I am running Win98...for the time being. Just put Zone Alarm and have been running Black Ice for quite some time. So, this post is exactly what I was looking for. Neato. Any more suggestions cause I'm tired of getting rid of all those pesky trojans I always seem to find. They a pain in the butt.....
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

Thanks for all the help guys, any more suggestions would be great. At the moment i have Windows ME on my computer so it doesn't have the WSH deal as far as i can tell cause it wasn't where you said to look. Also troy, if you wanna get rid of those trojans simply and easily if you become infected go try and find InoculateIt, its the best virus scanner i've ever seen and it never misses those trojans, scans your whole C: drive and then auto deletes the trojans no matter what kind of seal the attacker put on it.