Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW Outlook Virus?

What kind of mail server are you using? Is it an exchange server? Since you were hit with Nimda, what kind of methods did you use to clean it?

Most of the Outlook security problems are used by using HTML formatted e-mail. Thus it might a good idea to block incoming HTML for good... In Outlook 2002 this can be done in the following way --> enter this to a file named e.g. Outlook.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Options\Mail]
    "EditorPreference"=dword:00010000
    "Receipt Response"=dword:00000000
    "ReadAsPlain"=dword:00000001

and then enter it to registry by double clicking it. REMEMBER! Works only for Outlook 2002, as far as I know. After that restart your Outlook and it shoudn't receive e-mails as HTML anymore.

- karnevil9

You may still be infected with Nimba or have damaged RICHED20.DLL file.

A few months back when I was helping an aquaintance with some computer problems he was experiencing I had my first run in with the nimba virus. He was getting "out of memory" errors when trying to send email with Outlook. It didn't take me long to download an antivirus program and figure out that he had been infected with Nimba.

Nimba is notoriously difficult to remove. Check for a file named wininit.ini and delete it. Look for a line in your SYSTEM.INI that starts with SHELL. if it says anything other than "shell=explorer.exe" then you may still be infected.

Nimba affects the RichEd20.DLL. This file may need to be restored from the original Outlook/Office install CDs. Check out this article on Symantecs site...

NIMBA

Good Luck
    [shadow]Kind hearts are the garden, kind thoughts are the roots;[/shadow]
    [shadow]Kind words are the blossoms, kind deeds are the fruits.[/shadow]
    John Ruskin [