Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An interesting thought on software controlled CMOS/BIOS

Question An interesting thought on software controlled CMOS/BIOS

Something interesting I pondered upon a couple of days ago while buying a new motherboard...

Upon reading the new features supported in my new motherboard, I noticed it supported full software control of BIOS/CMOS features such as core CPU speed, fan speeds, CPU voltages, etc. You can adjust all of these setting not only through the CMOS interface at boot time, but also using packaged sofware included.

I wonder.... would it be possible for someone to write a virus or some other evil software that took advantage of this new feature and either ridiculously overclocked the CPU or killed off all the fans or some other antisocial act, causing the CPU to overheat and eventually fail/melt/explode in a ball of flame/pop/whatever, critically crippling your computer until you buy another one.

Is it even theoretically possible? And if all new motherboards are going to be made supporting this feature, how long is it going to be before a virus does the rounds that dosent only cause data damage, has the capacity to cause actual physical damage to a system. CPU's arn't cheap, I'd hate to see the total damage bill if something like that ever got out.

Whats anyones elses thoughts?

It is possible for them to do, I'm sure, but it seems like the company who makes the mobo would have restrictions put on it so that you wouldn't majorly screw yourself up.

This is what I would have thought as well, but I've had a play with it and I can indeed change my fan speeds, change my processor speeds (I can overclock, underclock, etc), and pretty much change anything I could have controlled using my CMOS interface.

Dangerous? A bad idea on the behalf of the manufacturers I would think....

I agree that is was a bad idea. Who was the manufacturer? And what type of mobo is it? I'll be sure not to get it.

Its made by a company known as Gigabyte Technology, model GA-7ZMMH. Its not the first I've seen with CMOS software control, although the idea is rather new. Theres also no option to disable it, the most I can do is simply not install the packaged software. But that still means whatever interface the software used is still there and at large, I think I'll have to be careful with this board...

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    hye jehnx long time no talk
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Emrys = g0d. you all will love him, he knows all about all.

lol ...damn that discussion is taking forever
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

I know, I left. Goodnight all.

lol i saw