Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fight-Back Section - New Questions?

Don't forget Mac OS on that OS list....
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

how about an overview of programming and scripting languages, to cut out the "what language should i learn first" question we every week.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

how about an overview of programming and scripting languages, to cut out the "what language should i learn first" question we see at least once every week.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

y0, y0, y0. These damn acronyms are so frickin' hard to follow...where is a good text-download or website where I can just look these m0-f0's up?

[P.S. - Pay no attention to the leet speak...I was bored]
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Well, I think since this section is going to be aimed at newbies looking to secure their PC, I suggest giving them a quick guide on the basics of how they can do this. For example, giving details about why it is important to have a virus scanner and firewall. What these programs do and how to use them, such as keeping a virus scanner constantly updated.

Also talk about different ways that hackers can try to access their PC's, such as installing trojans. The most popular ways that trojans end up on victim's systems, such as email. All this stuff I think should be discussed.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Following along with hot_ice's take on Fight Back!, coupled with something similar to the Quick Tips feature of the site, just straight forward tips for securing ones box, such as a point on how (and why?) to close down certain services when running on NT-based OS's (possibly including a short description of their purpose) but not like a tutorial.. just a description of the service, and reasons why it should be shut down...

I'm sure I could think of something else to put in there.. but my brain has stopped working due to lack of alcohol flow...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

What are "cookies" and "spyware"? How can they compromise my privacy and the security of my computer? What can I do about it?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I agree with hot_ice that the first section should be about using a virus scanner, trojan scanner and firewalls and how to use a port scanner to see which ports are open. What e-mail hoaxes are and how to trace an ip address.