Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why does mcafee miss trojons so much.

I too have never been infected by anything really bad, and I rarely run antivirus software. Instead I pratice safe computing (not opening unknown email, etc.) My point is that just because you haven't been infected doesn't mean that your antivirus software is doing a thorough job.
    I heartily agree with you on the safe computing part, toneill.

As for scanning for trojans, try 'The Scanner' from MooSoft
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Banned
    The last time I tried Norton, my computer showed me 3, count it, 1..2..3! blue screens of death!

I always got a kick out of this....

Norton Crashguard has conflicted with.... Norton Crashguard!

Now that's protection!

Inoculate IT is the best, it's fast, simple and Effective, I'v tested it, and it's better than Norton And McAfee. and It doesn't have any of those anoying Vid's.
    Unfortunatly, they are dis-continuing it, coz It didn't catch on
    Look into it though...it's very effective..
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Hmm... does the fact that McAfee is packaged with Windows mean anything? Common sense maybe?
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Well, I'd say that first you needed to make sure that your DAT files and scan engine is up to date. McAfee releases new DAT files on a weekly basis pretty much, and also when a new virus is in the wild. I believe the current scan engine is 4.1.60 and the latest DAT file is 4196. Set your software to autoupdate from McAfee's website, it's much easier. Then make sure that your scan settings are correct, such as scanning incoming and outgoing files, etc.

As someone mentioned earlier, I've used McAfee for a good while and I've never been infected with anything. I know a lot of users here stand by other software packages, and I'm by no means stating that McAfee is the best, but it seems to do okay for my needs.
    - Maverick

Originally posted by Noia
    Inoculate IT is the best, it's fast, simple and Effective, I'v tested it, and it's better than Norton And McAfee. and It doesn't have any of those anoying Vid's.
    Same here...I used McAfee before...Inoculate is WAY more simple and effective. It's about the same, if not better than MCafee. I'm not to sure on them discontinuing though.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Re: why does mcafee miss trojons so much.

Originally posted here by ravenorus
    why when i scan for viruses mcafee misses the trojons i need to run two different anti virus programs so i can make sure i dont have a trojons on my pc
    I knew I had a ghost of some sort, as AOL said over a 1000 emails were sent out. I scan with
    McAfee and it didn't find them, and their scan ran over 7 hrs.
    So I buy the Antiy Ghostbusters,IT found 4 infected files in less then an hour.

Well, all the antivirus programs miss some viruses that the others don´t
    Also you may want to check your DAT version and your engine version.

---------------------------------
    tomorrow is today

mcafee probably misses the trojans because the files that are being found on your other virus scanners are probably suspicious files. this does not mean that they are infected and it does not mean that they are not. mcafee will only find infected files rather than suspicious. you should download a trojan scanner anyway. this same thing happened to me with F-Prot 3.11. F-Prot 3.11's on demand scanner detected 8 suspicious files and mcafee only found one that was infected with the NetBus Pro trojan. either that or it is that you don't have your virus DATS up to date. use instant updater to find updates and download an anti-trojan program like Tauscan, or The Cleaner.