The Time Machine??

Thread: The Time Machine??

The Time Machine??

Well, The Time Machine (movie) is just coming out here in Australia and maybe it's not all just a movie, maybe it can really be possible??

This is an article I found on http://arstechnica.com/ :

UConn professor to build time travel device

Posted 4/6/2002 - 3:57AM, by Yaz
    UConn physicist Ronald Mallett has plans to build a machine to transport a subatomic particle through time. Mallett's experiment will be based ideas introduced in Einstein's theory of gravity, and he hopes to use rotating lasers to warp the space around a particle such as a neutron so that a second neutron from the future would appear.

"I'm not a nut.... I hope to have a working mockup and start experiments this fall," says

Mallett, who will detail his ideas about time travel tonight at Boston's Museum of Science. "I would think I was a crackpot, too, if there weren't other colleagues I knew who were working on it. This isn't Ron Mallett's theory of matter; it's Einstein's theory of relativity. I'm not pulling things out of the known laws of physics."
    Another physicist, Stanley Deser, a professor at Brandeis University who recently co-authored a paper titled "Time Travel?," says the problem is not the physics, it's the feasibility of making time travel work. "This is about trying to amass all the matter of the universe in a very small region," he says. "Good luck."

Mallett says that sending larger objects through time would require far more energy than what's available to physicists right now, but that's only "an engineering problem" in his eyes. Here's hoping 1.21 gigawatts will be enough to transport something significant.
    (I copied and pasted this here because the site is always updated and they didn't provide a unique link to this particular article.)

related link:
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/09...inationP.shtml

If this is true, imagine what great (and bad) things can come about due to it. Hmm...time travel, it still just seems like a fantasy!! Well, it still basically is, but a fantasy that will come true one day I think.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    So it sounds like he actually wants to "rip" matter from another time. That just seams a little dangerous to me....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Ph34r this!!! They screw up, and your alcohol could backwards ferment!!!*getting weaker as time goes on*.. note, this could have a advantage *you can drink your home brew quicker*...

Wouldn't want to be this guys neighbour... every time you hear him go 'Oops, I broke it..' you'll have to think... am I about to turn back into a baby....

Ok.. I'm just being silly.....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Originally posted my Matty_Cross
    Ph34r this!!! They screw up, and your alcohol could backwards ferment!!!*getting weaker as time goes on*.. note, this could have a advantage *you can drink your home brew quicker*...
    Hehe!!! Ahhh Matty, whatever the thread, whether security-related, non-security-related, programming, AntiVirus, Linux, Windows, etc you can always relate it to beer!! Now that's a talent!! I like it!!

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester