Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UNIX security questions

Originally posted here by draziw
    I do not believe that SSH will display /etc/issue.net properly, as the connection negotiation pretty much precludes it. It should, however, display /etc/motd upon login (well, login will display it and sshd has a hook if you want to force displaying it, etc).

Also, make sure things like hushlogin are turned off (though that's generally just a piece out of the global/skel files for your shells that ignores /etc/motd if the dot-hushlogin file exists in a user's homedir -- it's usually pretty easy to find it and take it out and kill it).
    I fixed it...I just put it in /etc/motd . I have another question which I really hate to ask but I have Crack on my box and want to use it to audit my passwords but I can't get it to install. I found the Makefile, typed in ./Makefile (as root) and keep getting Permission Denied WTF?!?!?!

Ratman2: Consider using John the Ripper instead. It is the best password cracker around and it works on just about any box win or *nix. I use this to audit all my linux passwords.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.