Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M$ problem, pls help.

M$ problem, pls help.

On my father's Windoze XP box, he recently took a security update for Outlook Express. Now, it is impossible to browse the internet! When you load any web-browser, trying to backspace or type over text will instanly lock the application. Likewise, trying to delete something off the desktop (using the del key) will lock explorer.exe, and Outlook refuses to save any of their emails! It's driving me insane trying to fix it! Can someone pls solve this before /me wings the Windoze box across the room?

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

I'm not by any means an expert, but if I saw this on my box I would immediately go to the anti-virus and have it take a look around. Ensure your virus definitions are up to date. Maybe you've already done that. What not to do...don't drop it out the window....they don't like that.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

It's not a virus, although good suggestion.
    And to drop it out a (significant) window I'd have to lug it up three flights of stairs.

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I had this problem with an update of IE6.0 Unfortunately, to fix it, I had to reinstall explorer.exe. There is only 1 way to do that. Reinstall windows. You might be able to reinstall the update, but I won't guarantee that will work.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Before you re-install everything try booting to a dos or command line prompt F8 usually at the prompt enter scanreg /restore pick a date before the problem started and hit the restore button. This is a good trick for Win98SE also.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Thumbs up

Are you sure there isn't some security option
    set too strict?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

XP should have a built in system restore thing.. i have pro and it has it home ver should too.. go to your start menu, then accesories, then system tools, then system restore.. that should let you put everything back to the way it was before update screwed everything up.. then you can retry the update or just live without it.

SSJ- ck your browser settings, the update may have disabled several things.

tools- internet options, security tab, custom (this is w2k but xp is similar) and look at your ckboxes.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Chunk Xp, get 2000 AS...that'll fix several probs

"M$ Problem" <- Wrong title
    "M$ is a problem itself" <- Correct title
    Sorry buddy, I don't think of using WinXP in the coming 2 years...
    Try, Fail but Do iT at last!
    ASA The ZeroTimeR
    The Turkish IT Documentation Project