Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KaZaA kicked off of Download.com

AntiOnline Senior Member

Post KaZaA kicked off of Download.com

News taken from - http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cf...132&u_id=26833

I think this is quite interesting. We will see how things develop in the coming weeks!

- ura

KaZaa Kicked Off Download.com

Adware and spyware on several leading file trading programs have caused concern, but for the first time Download.com has actually booted one leading program, KaZaa, from its site because of this.

KaZaa sparked several stories by Download.com's parent company CNET over the recent covert addition of Brilliant Digital's distributed computing program to KaZaa.

KaZaa regularly ranked in Download.com's "Most Downloaded" and pulled around a million downloads a week just from that service.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

No kidding. At least they'll lower their total download traffic. That's always a plus.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Just goes to show that spyware never pays.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Yay!

Banned
    I wonder how KaZaA will retaliate to this

Banned
    As long as it remains active, I'm happy...

Banned
    You lazy biotches should buy your music anyhow....I hope it dies like napster. Support the US economy!

As long as it remains active, I'm happy...
    have you not seen this...or you just don't care....

Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a California-based digital advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by Brilliant Digital.
    after being exposed..they said...oh..well it's in the eula...but they knew that nobody reads eula's...now they're backpedalling with ...oh we only want people who want our "service"...bahh...

You hereby grant (Brilliant) the right to access and use the unused computing power and storage space on your computer/s and/or Internet access or bandwidth for the aggregation of content and use in distributed computing," the terms of service read. "The user acknowledges and authorizes this use without the right of compensation."
    unforgivable breach of privacy...sub7 for corporations...

Brilliant's software will be able to understand and respond to searches inside Kazaa, since it is based on the same technology. But if it is successful, Brilliant will be able to host content and run "distributed computing" applications over the new network that is entirely separate from Kazaa or other file-swapping networks based on the same technology.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

kazza can kizza my azz
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

and if that don't grind yer goat...

"The recent revelation that Brilliant has bundled a small Trojan with Kazaa has underscored another means by which an attacker could gain control of so many machines: poorly secured automatic updaters. If an attacker can distribute his own code as an update, he can take control of millions of machines," he warned.

Kazaa has been downloaded by around three million people to date.

"Any program which connects back to the server to gain updates should be scrutinised very heavily because, as a program becomes widespread, the update server and mechanisms become highly attractive targets for attack," said Weaver.
    http://www.vnunet.com/News/1130726
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird. " - Abe Simpson

Sounds perfectly cromulent and I hope it embiggins us all !