Thread: ALSA problem

Unhappy ALSA problem

Hi,
    I have an ABIT BD7 motherboard with the AC97 sound built in. I finally got ALSA running so it doesn't give me errors when it loads but when I try to play anything there's no sound. And when I use the amixer or alsamixer to unmute my sound card it says it can't find the driver, despite that the driver is loaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

Assistance |s rendered.

This is really a very simple matter. I had the same thing happen to me on an old SPARC I was messing around with. First, you gotta make sure that the OTB is properly installed in the SOL accessory port. Be sure to BYOB the TCBY as well. If you still have no success, you'll need to do some tinkering with BIOS. If you get bored with BIOS, you can always use DOS. Or, even better, APT. It's all a matter of personal preference. You must WILL the ABIT MOBO to work properly. If none of what I've said has made since, maybe tinkering with hardware isn't the thing for you

God bless, and good luck,
    --PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Hmmm...good points PhirePhreak, except, if you BYOB the TCBY, you must remember to alter the BTOB. Also, the ABIT MOBO will work properly when the OTB is properly installed, since it really isn't something that needs configuring, as OTB will do it automatically.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Yeah... that wou|d work...

Yeah, but it's simply more fun to configure everything manually.
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Yeah, but it's simply more fun to configure everything manually.
    Yes, that would be fun, but, you have to consider a person's skill in hardware configuration. A novice, or even someone with intermediate skills, might not be able to perform the configuration of the ABIT MOBO and OTB seperately and have them work cohesively together. You really have to be an expert in this field. I myself would not have confidence in doing it.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Yet another good poin+

Well aren't you mister smarty-pants. You forgot to mention one of the most crucial parts of installing/configuring/running the OTB... you must have a OTB V6.0 compatible or better TRQ accessory port. Otherwise, you just wasted money on a brand new OTB that doesn't even work with your DLE port (unless you have the BEN port, in which case the OTB can be made to fit using a hammer to pound it in). So, I'm assuming that your TRQ is compatible to the OTB v6.0 or higher. Once that's settled, there's still the little matter of finding someone who is CWOJ-certified to do this sort of work. If you do it on your own, then your Manufacturer's Animositethic Clause is voided, thus voiding the majority of your warranty. So please, do pay attention to what I have said! Much more than your OTB is on the line in this case! Be careful, and may the schwartz be with you.

God bless,
    --PhirePhreak