Just wondering...

Thread: Just wondering...

Just wondering...

anybody know what language Windows was written in?
    TIA
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

hmmmm... i dont know offhand.... but would be interesting to know

NT was M$ practicing with C/C++. Knowing Bill Win95/98 were built with Visual Basic, but I digress
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

<sarcasm>

Visual Basic.

First it was written in C, but then was re-written in VB for more flexibility and control.

</sarcasm>

In all seriousness, though, I've been told by friends who work for "the enemy" that the heart of the system is in C. (though it also begs the question, "what do you call windows?" For example, is IE part of the OS?) Though some seem to think that since the API uses Pascal calling conventions, it must be done in Pascal (it's done that way, I've heard, because the Pascal calling convention is a bit faster and more compact than stdcall).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Originally posted here by draziw
    (it's done that way, I've heard, because the Pascal calling convention is a bit faster and more compact than stdcall).
    Oops... think that should be cdecl, not stdcall.