How anonymous are you?

View Poll Results: is perl now worth learning?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes! do it!

0 0%
  • nah, move on to ______....

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How anonymous are you?

Question How anonymous are you?

I'm curious as to how much data you would give to web pages. Let's say you're going to a website for something, and it's only a site that you're going to go to once or twice probably, how much information would you fill in? And if the site requires things like an address/phone number, would you fake it to avoid spam/telemarketers?
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nŠ engwar.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I AM John Doe. I never give out info that isn't required. I.E. 123 anywhere street etc.. Although I have found some sites that are actually smart about the john doe thing. Like i put in an address and zip that were fake and it told me it was an invalid address. These things are getting smarter.. lol

I think one of these things said my Address was Invalid, even though it was where I lived I learned how to fake an e-mail address, because they don't know how to check those yet... An underscore or two in the domain name normally works, but by just looking at it, you can tell it is fake... Maybe they're not as smart as you may think... I also use a modified version of my old address... Knowing the Zipcode and stuff of a place is useful...

But, for a place like AO, I've generally filled in correct info... I need my password e-mailed to me, right?

-Tim_axe

I tend to put in "helpful" address like foo@bar.com and easily guessable passwords, myself (foo or foobar or fubar). The people who own things like bar.com, foo.com and all those others must hate people like me... for phone numbers, area code (linked to zipcode) and 555-1212 is my fav (followed closely by 111-1111 and the like).

A long time ago, too, I basically replicated a US Zip Code DB and an area codes/phone number DB (now I just need to find a lat/long db again). Kinda helps with those "smart" registration application, too. Anyone have a reference for something like that (ie. zip code versus lat/long)? Yes, I'm too lazy to search for one right now... LOL

While we're on the subject...

<petpeev>

I hate websites that demand email addresses yet are too lazy (or stupid) to follow RFC822. Ya know, "plussed" addresses and the like are considered a nice feature by some of us. As a result, my aliases file resending bogus (registration) addresses to auto-RBL scripts like "spam@mydomain.com" and "cannonfodder@mydomain.com" is getting a little large at this rate...

</petpeev>
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Banned
    I'm curious as to how much data you would give to web pages. Let's say you're going to a website for something, and it's only a site that you're going to go to once or twice probably, how much information would you fill in? And if the site requires things like an address/phone number, would you fake it to avoid spam/telemarketers?

The information I give them when it says name address etc.. I always but

user name= Phillip Abong
    Address 0420 69Ave West

I always put fake info.I will never put any real information down. I mean this is the Internet you can find anything if you look hard enough.

I just use proxies to hide myself like CuteFTP PRO,and Moxi Logic Server.

Depends who the site is owned by. Usually I just BS the details because I want to avoid getting spammed. But yesterday I was downloading a report from www.fbi.gov and they asked for my details. I gave them my correct details since the odds of getting spammed/cracked by them is minimal .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

The best idea to do when it says your address is invalid is to use an enemy's phone number/adress/zip code/email ect.ect. Then laugh as they complain about telamarketers and spam email.
    WWJD
    What Would Jesus Do (For a klondike Bar?)

Banned
    The best idea to do when it says your address is invalid is to use an enemy's phone number/adress/zip code/email ect.ect. Then laugh as they complain about telamarketers and spam email

Hey RaDIaToR52 I tried that before it does not work. They know where the connection is coming from.

That is kinda scary when you think about it...
    WWJD
    What Would Jesus Do (For a klondike Bar?)

I'm not so worried about the stuff that I give out itís the stuff I don't aka (spyware).
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.