Article: Linux grrls break free
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Linux grrls break free

Article: Linux grrls break free

A locker-room mentality inherent in many user groups and mailing lists was the catalyst for an online sexual revolution - resulting in an Linux user group targeted specifically for women. Read it here.

Personally I think women should be encouraged more to do stuff like this in the IT industry. To find out more check out http://www.linuxchix.org/
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

This would be great for the average soccer mom hehe.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Heh, the average "soccer mom" barely knows how to operate a computer and that's why they have AO-Hell. More power to them if they want to learn but I've had the misfortune of fixing ****ed up machines all because they never wanted to learn a damn thing.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Banned
    Originally posted here by Vorlin
    Heh, the average "soccer mom" barely knows how to operate a computer and that's why they have AO-Hell. More power to them if they want to learn but I've had the misfortune of fixing ****ed up machines all because they never wanted to learn a damn thing.
    Vorlin, I couldn't have said it better myself'you'r %100 right on point.

Crimina1

Linux is still a nerd only OS.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by cwk9
    Linux is still a nerd only OS.
    I disagree... it's getting easier to install than Winblowz (esp. distributions like Mandrake). And with things like rpmfind and built-in package managers, it's even better, easier, and more powerful than those M$ abortions, IMO.

Solaris, HP/UX and some of the other heavy-hitters are still "far from friendly," though... though even they are starting to come around a bit, too.

Just my $0.02, FWIW...

I use mandrake and it is a big step forward in terms of usability and installation. The main problem is that most computers don't come with Linux installed so if Joe blow wants to try Linux and that means making a dual boot system witch is beyond the average computer userís ability.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

I can say that I found Mandrake 8.1 easier to install than windows 98 (Due to various problems, I've had to reinstall the latter so many times I've memorized my CD-key. Really.)
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nŠ engwar.

I can say that I found Mandrake 8.1 easier to install than windows 98 (Due to various problems, I've had to reinstall the latter so many times I've memorized my CD-key. Really.)
    I've installed Mandrake 8.1 dual boot with Windows 98. Mandrake takes about half the time to install and doesn't need me to supply any extra drivers like Win98 does. Mandrake 8.1 is the smoothest, easiest linux install I've ever done.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Originally posted here by cwk9
    I use mandrake and it is a big step forward in terms of usability and installation. The main problem is that most computers don't come with Linux installed so if Joe blow wants to try Linux and that means making a dual boot system witch is beyond the average computer userís ability.
    Actually, Mandrake 8.x seems to be fairly "friendly" in that respect, too, IMO... (then again, I also remember doing Slackware and SLS installations around kernel 0.9x) Mandrake (where most of my "positive" Linux experience lies) also has a "Shrink Windows Partition" feature (which I've admitedly no direct experience) and the installation seems to default LILO fairly reasonably in the case of multiple partitions.

Now, getting something like VMWare and installing Mandrake with WinXP or 2k underneath it, that can be another story... LOL (though it certainly seems to make Windows a bit better at not blowing the s**t out of the hardware for any particularly random reason)