Thread: ALERT: April 8

Exclamation ALERT: April 8

W32.Aphex@mm
    Discovered on: April 8, 2002
    W32.APhex@mm is a mass-mailing worm that emails itself to all email addresses in the Microsoft Outlook address book. It also uses IRC to spread itself.

Also Known As: Bloodhound.VBS.Worm, I-Worm.Aphex
    Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 319488 bytes

Threat Assessment:
    Wild: Low
    Damage: Low
    Distribution: High

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....aphex@mm.html

plus a bunch of new MyLife and MALdal variants....
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

is it an email worm or website worm
    so said the raven nevermore

"emails itself to all email addresses in the Microsoft Outlook address book" how many times have we seen this before.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    hmm... another thing to look for in suspicious e-mails....

"emails itself to all email addresses in the Microsoft Outlook address book" how many times have we seen this before.

Searched the web for "emails itself to all email addresses in the Microsoft Outlook address book". Results 1 -10 of about 3,600

gahhhahhhahh.....3600 seems low dontcha think...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Here is McAfee's write-up on Aphex:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99437

I wish the virus writes would do something more creative. This is all so elementary. Well, perhaps not the coding bit, but the usage.

Let's see a new version of the Morris Worm, now that would be exciting. Or even an educational one which takes out half the internet (granted the person who does that will not be liked very much) but it might open some eye's.

[Disclaimer: This is only in humour, I claim no responsibility if tomorrow or the next day, or the next, we wake up to the internet being down] Have a nice day.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Just say "Mutt." I still enjoy laughing at all these *.vbs and *.scr attachments I get from corporate fools^H^H^H^H^Hcontacts with some seemingly innocuous email/explanation (usually in very b0rken engrish or something).

Sorry... not trying to necessarily "offend" anyone... just the whole M$ way of "thinking" tends to really bug me. Ironically, I work for a company that sells product(s) that work with Exchange (don't look at me, I'm one of the UN*X/production guys).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

sorry i was tried and didnt see that u had said that it was an email worm my bad
    so said the raven nevermore