Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Features From 4/8/2002

Banned

New Features From 4/8/2002

Greetings All:

Here's the latest:

* As you know, the database has been up and down lately. I THINK I found the problem and as such re-indexed most of the threads. Hopefully, we'll find things to be rock-solid from now on.

* When someone hits "new reply" or "quote" to make a post, the site now checks the original thread poster's ignore list. If the person is on the ignore list, they cannot post in the thread.

* Added a page that shows all Quick Tips that have been approved into the database (thanks to ac1dsp3ctrum for the suggestion).

thanks i hope that you will be keeping the site up todate and make it earier to understand because some people might not understand the rules and how to use it
    so said the raven nevermore

* When someone hits "new reply" or "quote" to make a post, the site now checks the original thread poster's ignore list. If the person is on the ignore list, they cannot post in the thread.
    Excellent idea. Thanks JP.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

so how do u make should u are not on that ingore list
    so said the raven nevermore

Originally posted here by ravenorus
    so how do u make should u are not on that ingore list
    The best way is not to offend or annoy people. Usually, the people who get on other people's ignore lists are the ones who tend to start flame wars or insult everyone they can. As long as you are here to participate in civil discussions, no-one is going to put you on their ignore list. (Do note that the ignore list is unique to each individual, so even if you are on one person's ignore list, it's not going to stop you from responding to all other AOers).

As far as I remember the only person on my ignore list later got banned anyway for being a pain to everyone around.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Banned
    <sniff><sniff>Thanks JP
    I never knew you cared

You know, I really like that idea. I don't know how it will pan out in practice, because the real jerks will probably start their own thread to reply in. (If 'reply' is the right work for some of the responses...)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originially Posted by: BrainStop
    The best way is not to offend or annoy people. Usually, the people who get on other people's ignore lists are the ones who tend to start flame wars or insult everyone they can. As long as you are here to participate in civil discussions, no-one is going to put you on their ignore list. (Do note that the ignore list is unique to each individual, so even if you are on one person's ignore list, it's not going to stop you from responding to all other AOers).

As far as I remember the only person on my ignore list later got banned anyway for being a pain to everyone around.
    This, sooner or later, will obviously lead onto 'ignore wars'....*sigh*. Hopefully later, though.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Does this mean that I can post something
    really lame and/or offensive, put EVERYONE on my
    ignore list, and nobody can reply?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    rcgreen> go for it, just let me know how long it takes to add 80000 names to your ignore list
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman