What 1337 mean.

Thread: What 1337 mean.

What 1337 mean.

I just wondered why the language that crackers, hackers, or script kiddies or what ever like to write is called 1337?
    I decided to post the question here, but after trying in www.whatis.com , I have found the defenition.

Definition: Elite. Impressive. Usually this term is wielded with a little less discretion than the definition may suggest. Many things may be called "1337" when they are in fact nothing close to elite. Often employed sarcastically.

Usage: "Yo, have you check out that new Q3RA map... it's 1337." "Yeah, I beat you 15-3. You're really 1337."

Related terms: 31337, r337

May be you know it, but if you know more, post it here plz.

Banned
    I think Ennis says it best this is from his Ultimate tutorial"

Yeah, I know script kiddie talk, well exactly. How can people give clear info or comminicate when you are writing with numbers. Anyway it can be a source of amusement but dont try impress anyway with this kinda talk. Lots of people here are excellent at English [grammar,grammar,grammar!] and some can speak more than one language. Why waste this talent wit this 1337 Sp3/\|<? 1337 = L@/\/\ú«

Okay, this is my first post.
    Look: any language that a hacker uses is Elite, just because a hacker is scripting it, it doesn't matter that it is Perl, Java, C+++, asm, whatever.
    Then about the number 3117E, watch the trick:
    We hackers have our slang, okay? So sometimes we write like this, changing letters for numbers that ˝look similar or for any char you can get with ALT + #.
    So Elite becomnes 3lit3, then 31it3, then 31173, got it?
    It's like se7en, heard of him? Nice gut; and nice nick
    Nowadays a lot of non-hacking people also use this kind of "argot", but it used to be a way for hackers to talk with each other in IRC and so on, without anybody else knowing what they were saying... of course, tht was in the goof ol' days
    Take care.
    Cojunudo

I see more than script kiddies talk this way. I myself am not going to interested in 1337, I just want to know why it called 1337.

Originally posted here by Cojonudo

We hackers have our slang, okay? So sometimes we write like this, changing letters for numbers that ˝look similar or for any char you can get with ALT + #.
    So Elite becomnes 3lit3, then 31it3, then 31173
    Take care.
    Thanks alot Cojonudo, that was cool for your first post.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    It isn't called 1337. 1337 just means leet, which is short for eleet. The actuall writing is called K-rad. Why is it called that? I don't remember any more. Where did it come from? In the early 90's, if you saw writing that contained k-rad, you could be pretty sure it was written by a "geek." It was kind of a code to let others know who you were. Since then, script kiddies have corrupted it. It went from being something that only the 31337 people used, to being somthing that only sKr1P7 k1Dd13z use.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

yeah gamers use that type of talk a lot, especially in Half-Life: Counter-Strike. They'll be like "I'm so 1337" and all this other stuff when they really aren't.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com