programmer needs help again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: programmer needs help again

Unhappy programmer needs help again

Hello, again guys. I have decided to skip learning EVERYTHING in qbasic and move on to something like C. I have some questions that i need help answered.

-Do i have to start with C,or can i start with C++. (I think you have to start with C, i just wana make sure)

-What is a UNIX system? Is this something like a computer that i have to buy?

-I found out that i will need a C compiler so i downloaded the C++ Builder from Borland. How do you use it and what is it suppose to do?

If you could answer any questions you know and help me, , i would appreciate it.
    Mike

You can start anywhere you like. It's easier for some people to start small.

Unix is an operating system, Solaris is a popular flavor of Unix. It's developed by Sun Microsystems.

you write the program and then you use the compiler to 'put it all together' in an executable form.

P.S. I'm over simplifying everything.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Well lets put it this way, if you were to start small say in P-Basic, GW-Basic, Quick Basic, Visual Basic then you can master the art of computer programming. I am not saying that those are the only things you need. After you have learned about Loops ,Arrays, Calling Functions, etc. Then you should go onto C++ (I am taking it next year) It truly has been a good base to learn so many languages before i go onto C++ just because the code looks a bit intimidating. But what the hell if you're a Compulsive programmer who dreams about their programs like me then you will be fine...

If you have no programming experience at all I'd recommend that you start with something like Visual Basic. It's pretty easy to learn, easy to use, and will write programs for any Windows based machine.

C++ (or C) will allow you to write programs for the *nix platform, however, it is a much more difficult language to understand than VB. I'm not saying that you can't or shouldn't start with C, but without having good programming techniques and a good understanding of general programming concepts it will definately be a more difficult road to travel...

It might be better to get a compiler with an Interegrated Development Environment... I think to get the one from Borland, you have to pay money... Here is a link to one (BloodShed DevC++) It may take a bit to get used to, but it may help in the end. I haven't tried the 5.0 beta, but I do have Version 4.0, and it is pretty good...

Here is also a hint: If your program is saying it can't find stuff, or comes up with a lot of errors, make sure you have included the necessary header files. Unlike QBASIC or stuff, C++ has different headers so that it can do lots of different things. Normally the iostream.h header should support many of your commands..., but for other ones, you will need to include more headers in your source code...

Link: http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Hope this helps...

-Tim_axe

-----------------
    -I found out that i will need a C compiler so i downloaded the C++ Builder from Borland. How do you use it and what is it suppose to do?
    -----------------

cgkanchi's c tutoials:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=222963
    http://www.antionline.com/showthrea...threadid=137499
    http://www.antionline.com/showthrea...threadid=140166
    http://antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221501
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

i think C++ is very basic programming !!

hey u have to start with C first and then only u can go for C++ .. it is not that compulsory but if u know C then
    C++ will be a cake...

and yes C and C++ are the best things to learn.. first.. and also to master..

intruder..
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.

Banned
    It all depends on what it is you want to do.If you plan on writing windows based programs then Visual Basic
    would be something that would fit that.If you plan to work with *nix then you must learn C , once you have learned C then C++ will be alot easier to learn Because they both compliment each other very well.

From a personal view point I learned HTML first then moved on to C and once I had a grasp on C,C++ was alot easier for me to learn then I learned a scripting language perl which IMHO I feel is one of the best for writing scripts but can also help you out in other things also.Now I'm learning asm.

Programming is a great hobby it makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Crimina1

c++ isnt that bad to learn right from scratch as long as you have some idea of how programming works. i wouldnt bother starting with C then going to C++, i'd start right with C++ cause any "starter" C++ book is just as easy to pick up as the comperable C book.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.