Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up Linux with MS.

Setting up Linux with MS.

Hey all,
    I have a few questions that I was wondering if you linux dudes can help me with. I would rather have you guys help me instead of searching through Google. Ok here it goes. I have a AMD 500 with 458MB memory, DVD, CDRW, 30 Gig HD, DXR3 decoder board, ATI rage fury pro and I wanted to set up linux with Win 2K and XP. I want to set it up with Redhat 7.1 with a 5 gig partition, Win 2K with a 5 gig partition, and XP with a 5 Gig partition and a 15 gig partition for files.

What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of setting it up with linux first then Win 2K and then XP. And maybe booting linux using a floppy and windows using the normal windows boot manager. Or should I use LILO and how would I set it up?

Where would I find CDRW software?

Please do not flame me for asking questions. This is a place to learn and thats what I am here for.

Thanx all.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

1.) Fdisk your HD so that you have the 2 5G partitions, then the 15G data partition then the linux partition.

2.) Install XP first then 2K then Linux.

3.) When it comes time to install Linux, use disk druid to split the Linux partition into smaller slices for your *nix partitions. And don't forget to load your /boot partition first on boot up!

4.) The boot loader that I would use is GRUB cause it can do anything. All hail GRUB!

This install is no mean feat. It's easier said than done. But good luck I hope this helps .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Try using dual boot with LILO.U cannot install LILO in the MBR.Check the documentation cd for more details.

Windows boot manager will handle the two windows distros.

go for smirc solution or use the partition manager. PowerQuest PartitionMagic
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Banned
    When you need to configure GRUB, open a window and type in /boot/grub/grub.conf
    When you need to add an Operating System to GRUB do it like so (This is for Windows):

title OS Title
    rootnoverify (hdX,Z)
    chainloader +1

Where X is the hard drive number and Z is the partition number....
    So if I had a Windows 2000 installation on Hard Drive 0 Partition 0 (Master Hard Drive on IDE1, 1st partition) I would type in this:

title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

This should make an option to boot Windows 2000 or whatever OS in GRUB... Hope this helps

thanks for all your help. I think I will setup XP, 2000, Red Hat7.2.

Does anyone know of any good CDRW software that works for linux. It is a Mitsumi 24X RW.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I found a dvd player (xine), CDRW(fireburner)

i have a 20 meg partition as the boot, 5 gig as 2000, 5 gig as xp, 5 gig as red hat and 15 gig as files

The RedHat 7x distro should come with a burner software. Make sure you do the linux install last or M$ will screw up your boot system. I recomend LILO
    d0m1n10n: 1.Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: “The devil... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion” (Jonathan Edwards).
    2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.
    often Dominion Abbr. Dom.

All right here is what I have installed so far.

I have
    size......mount.....location under linux
    24MB..../boot......dev/hda1
    5122....win2K......dev/hda5
    5122....winxp......dev/hda6
    500......swap.......dev/hda7
    3075..../home......dev/hda8
    3075..../...............dev/hda9
    12000..files..........dev/hda10

I am booting with grub and will post updates for anyone who cares.
    For grub how would I set up 2k and XP?

title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,5)
    chainloader +1

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,6)
    chainloader +1

or
    ------------------------
    title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd5,0)
    chainloader +1

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd6,0)
    chainloader +1

or
    ------------------------
    title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,3)
    chainloader +1